Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Calling in BB range

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is clearly the BB where people make the most mistakes, as their getting a discount on seeing the flop and often closing the action pre flop.

A decent range for calling in the BB vs LP raises is KT/KJ/KQ, QT/QJ, JT, AJ/AT, T9s, maybe a few decent suited A’s.

Vs an EP raise my range is reduced drastically, to stuff like AQ, AJs, KQ, QJs, depending on who’s raising and our stack depth. Sometimes I’d go a little looser than that, sometimes a little tighter.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is from Bond's excellent post on position in SSMTT. I had a point I wanted to discuss and thought it might be more appropriate here.

"Good players" online tend to raise 2.5xBB. With 1xBB in ante late on FT or Stars, I am getting 3-1 pot odds to call a raise in the BB. So I will often atleast call with any pp, and most suited connectors/gappers and broadway cards, as well as some other hands.

I agree the SB is more reraise or fold, but I am getting 2-1 pot odds in the SB, so it seems OK to flat call sometimes, particularly if the stack sizes are such that I can checkraise allin on the flop if I want to.

I would call loser with unsuited high cards against a late position raiser than an early position raiser, but with a speculative hand, it doesn't matter so much how strong a hand the raiser has. If the moneyis shallow, then I might call tight against an early position raise from a solid player.

Now I know the raiser has position and initiative, but he generally plays predictably cbetting, which I can checkraise. If the money is fairly shallow, you have a checkraise allin, which reduces your positional disadvantage.

I also think there some advantage to defending your blind, and you don't always have to do it by reraising.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Calling in BB range

I think that calling range is way way way too wide. It would be terrible for these donks to be calling EP raises w/AJs.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Most people's calling ranges from the BB are way too wide.

Most people don't even realize they are losing tons of chips by calling too wide from the BB.

etc etc

"Defending" against "blind stealers" is one of the largest leaks players (including "good" players) have.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

flatting from the sb with a good player on the bb is spewy
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a different issue, and not necessarily true.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM

I agree that a lot of low states players call raises too wide in the blinds.

However, if the money is too deep to reraise allin, I will usually call a late position small raise in the BB with a wide range. Also, I will generally call a small early position raise with a pp or suited connector in the BB.

You can also reraise to a late position raise, but then you have to fold to a 4-bet if you have a marginal hand.

It may be good beginners advice, but I really don't see that you have such a positional disadvantage to someone probably stealing that you should fold that tightly getting 3-1 pot odds.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 PM

i love when you guys play with preflop handcharts

so easy to beat !
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a different issue, and not necessarily true.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like the nuts when you do it with like AJs and snap their squeeze.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:22 AM

im like the tightest BB player in the world when it comes to flat calling might be a leak though would lik to see some more replies very interested in this thread
Old 10-13-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im like the tightest BB player in the world when it comes to flat calling might be a leak though would lik to see some more replies very interested in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. What about when the table is shorter? Are you reraising from BB a raise from LP with the range you flat call with in a full table? Whats the flatcall range with a raise UTG?