Default Split aces multiway, stud hi

Pretty loose, pretty good stud hi game.
50/100, ante 10, BI 15, 9 handed.

Couple folds,

3rd street:

(xx)3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] completes
(xx)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls
(xx)5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] calls
(A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls
(xx)5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] calls
(xx)2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds

4th street:
(xx)3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bet
(xx)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] call
(xx)5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] fold
(A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] check, call
(xx)5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] check, call

5th street:
(xx)3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] bet, call
(xx)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] raise, call
(A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] check, 3-bet
(xx)5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] check, fold

6th street:
(xx)3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] call
(xx)7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] call
(A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] bet

river i blank out and it goes check check check.

The 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a pretty loose and passive player who will almost never lay a hand down. He also can be a little aggressive in the wrong spots, but moreso when we play hold'em than stud. The 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is an okay player-- he at least understands the importance of knocking people out but he plays way too loose on 3rd street. The 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is a pretty bad player, too loose and not aggressive enough but is capable of trying to pull moves seemingly almost randomly.

I didn't raise third because I looked over and saw the BI was definitely folding and thought the 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was going to fold but I was wrong. I have a hard time handling these multiway spots with big pairs where I can't figure out a good way to knock anyone out.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Split aces multiway, stud hi

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't raise third because I looked over and saw the BI was definitely folding and thought the 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was going to fold but I was wrong. I have a hard time handling these multiway spots with big pairs where I can't figure out a good way to knock anyone out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try raising. Don't over think it.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:31 PM

Please don't take this too personally, but IMHO this hand is a mess!

Your explanation for not re-raising 3rd street "sounds good if you say it fast," but it just doesn't make good poker sense. You should want to do everything you can to get the two players behind you out right then, so you should re-raise. But even more importantly, you need to see if you can get one or more of the others to also fold by re-raising because your hand is certainly not going to play well with more than two opponents.

Having said that, let's assume you get to 4th street the way you actually played it. Now you are the first to act and with you catching a great scare card (Qh) to go with your Ah door card, you need to come out firing with a bet. This gives you the opportunity to represent a nice range of hands aside from the As you actually have, i.e., a flush draw, a straight draw, a straight flush draw, a big pair (either your As or Qs), etc. This also sets it up so that the original raiser with the 3c door card could conceivably raise your bet and force the other two players behind him to fold. Had you done this, your Kc catch on 5th street would really set you up for repping a straight with a flush draw still a possibility. If you had played it this way, I doubt you would have had more than one opponent still left, if any. If there was still anyone left on 6th street, then your catching the Jh really should scare them away.

As played, your 5th street situation is a wreck and your 3- betting is just spew. Had it been me and I had checked first on 5th street and then was faced with two bets when the action returned to me, I would have folded.

Just my $.02.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:38 PM

Based on your past posts, you do not play cards this way. I think you are the only poster that is to aggressive in your approach to 7 stud. I am very surprised.

R 3rd, then bet 4th
or
Call 3rd, then CR 4th

check/call on 4th and the 3 bet is just bad poker

I go R 3rd, bet 4th, call 5th (maybe).

What happen to your aggressive style?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM

CPA-

Although you posted this as a response to me, I assume since you are advocating essentially the same advice I posted, you actually intended this as a response to the OP.

Or I suppose given your predilection to antagonize other posters here, maybe you're just trying to get under my skin. If so, it won't work. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 PM

I post in the order that comes up on my computer. It was not a response to you but to the OP. My screen shows the last post, which was yours, then the Quick Reply Box.

Rory is super aggressive, while you are weak/tight.

I must have gotten under your skin because you posted about it. And whats funny, on FTP you always try to talk me about various things.

Rory if I insulted you, I'm sincerely sorry. I just get a big kick out of your previous posts. This one is very different.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...you are weak/tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...interesting observation, inasmuch as I've never been accused of that by anyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
I must have gotten under your skin because you posted about it. And whats funny, on FTP you always try to talk me about various things.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really. I didn't know you play at FTP and don't know your handle there. I try to chat with a lot of people about a lot of things...lol. What is your handle at FTP? I do remember you from the Crypto sites though. Do you remember me from there? Or do you have me confused with someone else at FTP?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM

Chat, yes you do. Its "Lets be friends" chit chat. No confusion. On Crypto, you can and went sometomes gone for weeks at a time, played mostly Yankee dollar low limit tables. I played BSP higher limit games, sometimes we played but not often. FTP can't help it, if its not your BS at the tables, its Deep Vision coaching (and losing).
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM

hey rory.. im curious as to why you waited so long to hammer on a passive player who has shown such aggression through every street.

your 3-bet on 5th says a set to me, and theyre both calling.. this almost always signifies they are going nowhere with two pair type hands, and you are never ahead here. I think you cost yourself equity in this hand by not getting aggressive earlier.. not to mention you called when you were probably ahead and then hammered it when you were speculatively behind.

you said the 3c is loose.. but also passive.. i think you made a good observation but got kind of lost in translation. when someone c/3-bets and you get two callers.. you must improve from 1 pair type hands unless this guy WAYYYY overplayed wired KK or the other AA.. this is all while assuming the other player misses/doesnt improve.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM

I diagree with your comments about thrid street. If he thought that the other 2 players behind him were folding anyway, just calling in this spot is perfectly acceptable. They are calling if rory raises- this way he adds deception to his hand and keeps the pot small enough to possibly knock out some players on 4th.

I probably would have bet 4th.

I am still thinking about the river. I am tempted ot bet here, but not for value. Would wither of these 2 players drop 2 small pair to a bet?