Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 11:21 AM

Default My car is dying...what\'s my play if

My car has taken a turn for the worse and now it seems that it will be weeks rather than months before I require a new one.

Long story short -- besides all the electrical problems, the tranny is going bad and gears are shifting up and down. Sometimes I can keep it in 3rd gear which sucks at getting going, but allows me to travel 65-70mph on the highway (which I need to take to get to work). However sometimes I can't get it out of second gear and I have to drive 55-60 at 3800-4k rpms on the highway.

So my car is on its last leg and I have some questions...

1) When it breaks down on the side of the road...and it gets towed what's my play?
- Where should I have them tow it...my apartment complex?
- Is it worthless at this point?
- How do I dispose of it so that it does not belong to me?
- Is there a type of business that will tow it and offer me $$ for it?

2) Anyone have recommendations for places to get "preapproved" for an auto loan?

3) Once preapproved for loan...and ready to purchase a new car I read somewhere that I needed proof of insurance. What does this consist of? Will my old insurance card be enough? I am on my parents insurance right now (cheaper...much) and plan on getting my own when I get a new car. So should I go ahead and buy auto insurance for the car I plan to purchase before I purchase it...that just doesn't sound right logistically?

thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: My car is dying...what\'s my play if

1) talk to a junk yard

2) I had a good bit of luck with capital one, they give you a blank check basically, this was most convenient.

3) Yes, your old insurance card is what you need, you then, at least in PA, have 2 weeks to get your new car under your insurance policy.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) talk to a junk yard

2) I had a good bit of luck with capital one, they give you a blank check basically, this was most convenient.

3) Yes, your old insurance card is what you need, you then, at least in PA, have 2 weeks to get your new car under your insurance policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you...most helpful.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:06 PM

i'll give you a real vehicle for 10 grand. that way if it gets stuck in 2nd gear, people still won't [censored] with you.

must pick up in wisconsin though.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM

i would also check out carmax if you want to buy a car. they can finance you on the spot.

it also allows you to purchase a decent warranty for a used car.

also, i would tow it to anyplace where i can park it kinda long term. apt. complex sounds perfect. put that sucka on ebay, as is. you'll get a couple hundred for it. if you want to spend some time and take it apart, you can make 5X more than that by "parting it out" or selling each individual part on ebay, but there is a lot more effort in that.

if you are feeling especially altruistic, you can donate it to a charity, and they will come pick it up for free. the only catch is that i don't know if they only take running cars or not....
Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would also check out carmax if you want to buy a car. they can finance you on the spot.

it also allows you to purchase a decent warranty for a used car.

also, i would tow it to anyplace where i can park it kinda long term. apt. complex sounds perfect. put that sucka on ebay, as is. you'll get a couple hundred for it. if you want to spend some time and take it apart, you can make 5X more than that by "parting it out" or selling each individual part on ebay, but there is a lot more effort in that.

if you are feeling especially altruistic, you can donate it to a charity, and they will come pick it up for free. the only catch is that i don't know if they only take running cars or not....

[/ QUOTE ]

sup mang. no go on the truck...gonna stick w/ my honda accords for now. Don't feel like the hassle with a used car so gonna go after a new 2006/7 honda accord.

thanks for the advice. If I can't get rid of it for some monies w/ ease, I'll be calling some charities. I will lie to them about the condition.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:46 PM

it costs like $60 for a year for two people, and if youre getting towed without it, its gonna be more than $60 most likely for a tow
Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 PM

If you're going with any major insurance company you can set up the insurance while you're buying the car and have them fax the proof of insurance to the dealership. This way you can have the VIN number for your insurance company and everything. If you already know what kind of coverage you want and you've been given quotes, it won't take long, and it will give you something to do while your salesperson is filling out other paperwork for you.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it costs like $60 for a year for two people, and if youre getting towed without it, its gonna be more than $60 most likely for a tow

[/ QUOTE ]

solid advice...didn't know this was so cheap.

will do. thanks