Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Poker Ruined My Life- For Now (long)

yup, so she's gone
i can't say i havn't seen it coming, the past few weeks have been hectic to say the least

i guess it all started on sunday, july 23rd. i had the weekend off from work and decided to take my babe out for dinner
we went to denny's, and having just cashed my paycheck, i told her to order whatever she wanted, we were going to indulge tonight.
my philosophy has always been that "money doesnt matter, 'cause i can just make more."
so anyways, we're sitting and chatting it up, all the while im dreading monday morning.
another 6 hour shift at the lumber mill. it was the only job i could get, and it was my girlfriend who actually got it for me.
although crappy, it pays a sweet 7.25 an hour, and allows us to live quite comfortably, and indulge every so often.

Anyways, back to the story,, i was dreading the monday morning grind, and brought up the subject with my girlfriend. i'm 26 and tired of the hard, labor intensive work, and having to work wiht cocky 17-18 year olds.
we decided that i would try to change my perspective and give the job another 2 weeks, then we'd decide what to do.
she said she'd support me on any decision i'd make.

tuesday july 25th. taking a lunch break and drinking down a lukewarm bud king can (i like warm beer), my buddy johnny starts telling me about online texas hold'em. he'd been playing for 2 weeks and told me how much he's been making. he deposited 2000 and started playing at the $400 buyin tables on pokerstars. since then he's made 250$ by playing on his spare time. by the end of the lunch break i was convinced i too could succeed in poker.

wednesday july 26th, i watch the informational videos on fulltilt, and deposit $1100 (my savings).
i play at the $200 tables and make $100 in 2 hours.

i work and play until sunday august 6th. by this time ive turned $1100 into $1600 and have improved my game significantly.
it's sunday night again, and i decide to take my woman out for denny's again. we talk about work at the mill, and poker, and i reveal to her that i will no longer work at the mill, that i will go professional with poker. she is abit apprehensive, but i tell her about johnny and how he's been making big bucks online. sunday night is the best night of my life. without having to worry about work anymore, i can now dedicate myself fully to poker.

within the next 2 weeks, i run the $1600 up to $2600 and we spend alot more time at denny's, indulging in my winnings.

friday august 18th. my life changes.
i hit a bad run, and things run badly. i lose $250 in one night and get drunk. my woman freaks out about the loss and we get into a fight. i am arrested for domestic violence and spend the night in jail.

saturday august 19th. i play 200 more hands and lose 600$. my bankroll is now at 1750. i read some posts here in beats, brags and variances, and decide to follow some advice that was offered to others who were losing money. i move up to the $600 buyin tables, knowing i'd be ok if i doubled up just once. i don't tell my girlfriend about the losses

sunday, august 20th. i play all night and my bankroll is reduced to 400$. my girlfriend see's my cashier on fulltilt and we fight. i get drunk and am arrested once again- domestic violence. she signs on under my name and cashes out my last $400, claiming that the savings we had were ours and she was entitled to at least $400, from the original 1100. i am released later that night and cancel the cashout request. i bring the last $400 to the $1000 buyin tables and lose it after going all-in preflop wiht 88 against some lucky fish with AK.
i come clean wiht my girlfriend and tell her i will do whatever it takes to make a deposit and win my money back. i pawn the TV, radio and dvd player for $200 and make a deposit. we don't eat at denny's this night, not enough cash

monday, august 21st. i lose the deposit at the $400 tables in 3 hands. my girlfriend calls me a degerative gambler. i call her a bitch. i get arrested and spend another night in jail. i call her from prison and she tells me that she's moved out and i will never see her again.
poker has ruined my life. ive gone from winning $1500 to losing everything i have. i am getting a loan from a friend of mine. i am determined to make poker happen. my friend johnny has decided to coach me. his bankroll is at 3500 and hes killing the $400 games. often pulling in over 75$ a day.

i just wanted to share this story, maybe you can extract some lessons out of it. i've learned that ive just been really unlucky, but that eventually this luck will even out. as for my girlfriend, i now realise that she was just a gold digger, and i'm probably better off without her. when i move out and start living on my own, she'll see what she's missing and will come crawling back.

sincearly,
BlackFalcon

Edit: typos
Old 08-22-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Poker Ruined My Life- For Now (long)

She probably ain't a gold digger.

But she ain't messin' with no broke nigga. (i.e. you)
Old 08-22-2006, 02:06 AM

nice bankroll management. stop throwing money away until you learn how to be properly rolled.

[ QUOTE ]
his bankroll is at 3500 and hes killing the $400 games. often pulling in over 75$ a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf
Old 08-22-2006, 02:08 AM

Tell me this is a gimick account...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 AM

tl;dr...but

[ QUOTE ]
his bankroll is at 3500 and hes killing the $400 games. often pulling in over 75$ a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

made me LOL
Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 AM

Dude, no offence, but you are probably bad at poker. It takes a lot of studying to get good and realy undertand the game
Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 AM

Is this post serious?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 AM

I seriously hope this is a bad jopke, otherwise man...if this is real...you're being a MORON (not being mean, but you need to realize how stupid you truely are being man)

For starts you need 20 buy ins for a bankroll...2.) don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose...3.) get a real sample size, you need 100K plus hands for a guess at your true hourly...3.) $75 "a night" at NL 400 is WEAK SAUCE I'm at $160 a hour for the past 1.5 years and that's not counting rakeback or bonuses

Man, if this is a jopke I look like a retard, if it isn't I truely feel sorry for you man. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me on MSN I won't be mean I serioualy want to get you help, like gamblers anonymous or something man....I feel either a.) like a retard not spotting the joke or b.) bad for you man
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 AM

I've always wondered what the guy who's sitting at my table giving his money away is like.

Thanks for the peek!

btw stop hitting women that's not cool. Unless they really deserve it.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, no offence, but you are probably bad at poker. It takes a lot of studying to get good and realy undertand the game

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be the new form of trolling--responding to troll posts with mock credulity.