Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Home game with cameras/youtube

I want to rig my home game with cameras (hole cams, one cam to watch the entire game) and then put it on youtube. I'd also like to have it so the action could be watched in another room.

I'm going to cut small squares into the table top for the hole cams, these parts are easy.

Making it so the action could be seen in the next room over seems more difficult. Is there some sort of "hub" that would allow multiple cameras to onto one screen? These would be cheap webcams/laptop cams.

Also, would anyone be interested in watching this? This sounds really cool to me, and a few other regulars here, but maybe you all think its stupid?

Any advice?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Home game with cameras/youtube

You can do this, no problem... it will just take some work.

You need to get networkable web-cams and run ethernet to all of them, you might consider power-over-ethernet so you don't have to run a lot of cable through your table. I don't know what your budget is so I don't know how fancy you can get. Regardless, run the cameras to your network and choose whatever software you want to display the streaming video on your "display" computer. (You might have to configure the IP addresses for the camera's if you don't use DHCP)

You don't need youtube, you can simple stream the camera's live through your internet connection. It's more costly/complicated to actually record the sessions, but it can certainly be done.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:37 PM

Well, two things:

1 - You will need a light source next to the hole card cams.

2 - You will need to do editing.

For a high quality show you need cameras with 600 lines and record on separate DV tapes. However, you can also get a multi-channel DVR and record all cameras at once on the DVR. Then later you can do your editing (don't even attempt live switching if you don't have experience).

Why do you want to monitor the live game in the other room? You got a player planted? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the responses gentlemen - will read again in the morning when I can actually think.

lol Cardshark - I'm not sure why, people think it'd be cool to be able to watch what's going on during say the final table of a big tournament. Not sure how we'd use it for the cash game we play, because I wouldn't want people going in and out, and it'd have to be pretty secure (no cell phones, etc)
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like to have it so the action could be watched in another room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean for spectators to watch live from another room?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol Cardshark - I'm not sure why, people think it'd be cool to be able to watch what's going on during say the final table of a big tournament. Not sure how we'd use it for the cash game we play, because I wouldn't want people going in and out, and it'd have to be pretty secure (no cell phones, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

This could go bad very quickly. Think about this very carefully before you decide to allow live viewing.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:33 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WVC54G.../dp/B000DZM4TC
I found those on ebay ^ from a wholesaler for around $25 each - not sure if its BS or not. Not that I'm anywhere near being ready to buy (broke) but those seem like they'd be perfect right? (this wohle thing seems like it's going to be much easier than I thought)

As for the live viewing room - I'm not even sure if we will do this, but if we do I'm really not too worried about it. We're all very good friends, honest people. We'd probably have the room on the opposite side of the house, downstairs (big house here) and have someone inside for security, as well as some very strict rules about voice levels etc, that would have big consequences. And I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have it for the cash game.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM

I also am going to do this. I have been thinking for a while about it. Also I would edit it so it looked like it was on tv. And put up the card graphics and percentages. Its a sweet idea.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:53 AM

How would one put up the card graphics Izan?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 AM

This would be great if it was done right. but it just seems to me that trying to get this to work would be very hard and you might lose your mind in the process.