Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 AM

Default Imagine.. with apologies to John Lennon

It is 5 in the morning and I can't sleep.

Imagine if there was an online worldwide poker room.

Imagine if funding was as simple as a debit card, any debit card, or wire, or check, or whatever.

Imagine withdrawals that were as simple as a trip to the atm, direct bank deposit, timely check, or whatever.

Imagine there were absolutely no restrictions except age verification, 18/19/20/21, whatever. Anybody anywhere is good to go.

Imagine total freedom to advertise.

Imagine there was NO RAKE!, and no annoying advertisements, popup or otherwise, and no monthly fees.

Tuff, you have surely been into the mushrooms. What on earth did you eat for supper?

Imagine there were a benevolent bazillionaire Bill Gates type who just wanted us folks to be able to play a little poker amongst ourselves. So our benefactor pays the expenses of operating our online poker room including the expense of the finest, fastest, most stable software, really good security, excellent customer service, and even does some advertising to get the word out. And BTW, zero funds from any source ever flow back to our benefactor.

Legal?

Who could object?

Who would object?

Who likes it?

Who hates it?

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Tuff

PS: Any guesses as to how much this is going to cost our mysterious friend to start up and maintain?

And, yes, I have something in mind here.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Imagine.. with apologies to John Lennon

Nice post man. Surely this really doesn't cost that much. One huge cost that would have to be paid for is the transaction fees. I'm sure the large sites spend millions a year on transaction fees with the ewallets.

Even if it was just funded through your bank account or credit card, there are still fees that would add up over time.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM

It costs money to maintain the site and have support for when [censored] goes wrong too.

...but if it is possible please do it.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:08 AM

Well if you take away no rake but add no tax on winnings you get the position of a UK player on say Will Hill or Ladbrokes..
Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM

Since we are imagining this, transaction fees would be paid by the player.

Still, a huge cost in people, I.E., back end support, office personel, etc.

I read a basic site can be started for about 30K someplace, somewhere in time.

obg
Old 09-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Of course this would be fantastic, but:

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine if funding was as simple as a debit card, any debit card, or wire, or check, or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get debit/credit cards through since that is up to the issuing bank?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course this would be fantastic, but:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get debit/credit cards through since that is up to the issuing bank?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well all you have to do is be willing to do a little extra in the current system. TruePoker has gone the right direct IMPO, they will send a courier for a transaction of 1k or more. That got my attention, as well as got me to open an account!

Now all anyone else has to do is read the regs and be ready to tell the US gov't FU! Make it clear the response to any intimidation is "bring it on!"

The rest is a matter of a little proper planning and a little creativity.

D$D
Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Legal?

Who could object?

Who would object?

Who likes it?

Who hates it?

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Tuff

PS: Any guesses as to how much this is going to cost our mysterious friend to start up and maintain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think such a thing would be legal since there is no profit. I would like some legal minds to weigh in.

I am guessing the annual cost would be $5 - $10 million, but I actually have no idea. It doesn't matter, our wealthy friend does not care, but would need to know how much.

Transaction fees would, in all likelyhood, be borne by the player. Credit cards might be a problem because of risk to the CC company, but the transaction, assuming the whole thing is truly totally legal, would be no different than buying a book on Amazon.

I woke up in the wee hours envisioning a giant Saturday night poker game just between friends, tens of thousands of friends, over on my neighbor's friendly web site. Of course this would be a 24/7, 365 days a year Saturday night.

I don't see any reason whatsoever that a few (thousand) friends can't get together over the web for a fun filled, not for profit, poker game. The only impediment is cost to properly implement and sustain such a gathering.

Cheers,

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Tuff
Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Another thought.

What do you suppose would happen to the existing online poker sites if such a site, with no rake or very nominal rake (1% - 2%) were to become freely available to all poker players?

Assuming, of course, that the site had the aforementioned excellent software, security, customer service etc?

Tuff
Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thought.

What do you suppose would happen to the existing online poker sites if such a site, with no rake or very nominal rake (1% - 2%) were to become freely available to all poker players?

Assuming, of course, that the site had the aforementioned excellent software, security, customer service etc?

Tuff

[/ QUOTE ]

50%+ of the world poker market!