Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Default adjusting to shorthanded action

I'm very familiar with shorthanded NL and for a number of months have played FR LHE up to 3/6. I'm now trying to adjust to shorthanded LHE at 1/2 and 2/4 and would appreciate some input.

One major difference I am finding is the large number of people going to the flop. Even with raises in front, I'm seeing so many players calling with weak hands and even lots of raises with weak hands as well.

I recognize the importance of aggression, especially at 6max, but the preflop action I'm seeing just seems to be crazy. It seems like all the rocks at FR have been replaced by action junkies when playing 6max.

I'm trying to adjust my game to deal with this and have tightened up, but I feel like I'm limiting the hands I should be playing (recent sessions I have been about 18/23).

Since my preflop raises will rarely thin the field, should I be limping more and raising less? Limping seems to go against everything I have learned, but given the circumstances I wonder if it is best. The books I have read certainly promote an aggressive style, but now that everyone is aggro I wonder if it is best to tighten up and wait for them to pay off.

I realize all games play differently, but this is definitely a trend I'm finding at 6max.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: adjusting to shorthanded action

Here are some random ramblings. Post hands to get a better discussion.

You should definitely not adjust to the loose/aggro short handed games by limping more. That would be a mistake.

In general, never open limp. Overlimping can be ok, but very often a raise is good because it creates pressure on the open-limper, and on the blinds which often results in dead money. Also remember that the main goal of raising is not to thin the field, but to get value. When you have a hand like ATo and there's 1-2 limpers in front of you and you know the blinds won't fold, you should still raise because your hand has more equity on average than their hands do.

Here's how I understand how shlhe "should" be played. Better players will probably correct me:

-Play loose preflop. 30/20 is very common for winning regulars. Just make sure you're loose in the right spots and tight in others. Don't open up your range a whole lot when you're UTG or MP. Steal a lot but don't always steal from CO/Btn if the blinds will never fold. Resteal from the SB with hands that are likely to have good equity vs frequent stealers (QTs comes to mind). Defend the blinds pretty liberally, but don't go nuts. Play almost any 2 cards from the BB vs a SB open-raise (just fit-or-fold the flop).

-Play aggressive post-flop until somebody pushes back. Then you should turn into a calling station. Raising marginal hands vs laggro players is very often not +EV. Don't try to out-lag the lags. And do not try to bluff somebody off a pair or even ace-hi for that matter. People call down with any piece of the board.

In general, show down most of your hands. Don't make hero-folds, and don't make extremely thin raises on drawy boards unless your ready to accept the variance without tilting. People will overplay their draws, even 3-4-betting the turn with them. Yes, I know it's +EV for us, but the problem is that you don't know whether they're overplaying a draw or if they have your TPTK beat.

I've eleveated calling down to an artform in lhe. In general, let the aggro players bet your hands for you, unless you have a monster.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks Wolfram.

I'll keep all of this in mind and consider opening up a little more.

I think I may be spewing too many chips reraising preflop rather than calling or overcalling, but I'll continue to put pressure on with open raises when entering pots.

I'll pull some hands from my session tonight to get some more specific feedback.

Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM

6-max plays the same as full ring where the first 4 seats have folded, in terms of your hand selection. If you don't think that's the case then you're probably too tight in late position when playing full ring. The difference you're seeing in action is a result of people thinking they have to play so much differently.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6-max plays the same as full ring where the first 4 seats have folded, in terms of your hand selection. If you don't think that's the case then you're probably too tight in late position when playing full ring. The difference you're seeing in action is a result of people thinking they have to play so much differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right. I was an absolute nut peddler at FR, which is surprising because I'm very laggy at NL.

I hadn't thought of the game in terms of being the same as FR with 4 folds in front. Makes a lot of sense.