Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Limping preflop?

People hate to limp preflop because they like to be aggressive and hide their holdings. However, I believe that I play in a game where limping preflop is profitable. However, as I am afraid of making a fundamental mistake, I would like feedback on how you would play in this sort of game:
NL50 6 max, usually there are 2-3 full stacks and 2-3 short stacks (30 or less). The short stacks usually can't fold TP, and the full stacks are usually pretty clueless. The tables are almost always super passive with no one raising less then AJ+, KQ, and 99+, with some people adding in Axs and smaller pp. If you raise preflop and someone hits the flop (any pair, flush draw, straight draw, usually with gut shots too) they will call on the flop, and occasionally on the turn as well. I used to raise 22+, AT+, Axs, KQ, KJ, QJ, any suited connector or 1 gappers, and occasionally 89+ in position. What would usually happen was I would make a cbet and get called, and occasionally fire a second barrel. Now what I do is I raise 22+ (usually, depending on peoples stack sizes I limp occasionally) AJ+ Axs, KQ, KJ, and QJ if I'm opening. I'll occasionally add in suited connectors in position against the big stacks. Am I making a mistake? Why should we always raise preflop if we are going to play? Why should we limp occasionally? I would like to hear some discussion about this.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Limping preflop?

My eyes hurt.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 PM

i don't tihnk the majority of 50nl tables are that weak to allow that much limping. 10nl is a different story however...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't tihnk the majority of 50nl tables are that weak to allow that much limping. 10nl is a different story however...

[/ QUOTE ]
It requires proper site selection. Is this situation really so esoteric that no one wants to discuss it? If you don't have an opinion on my specific situation, maybe you can post reasons not to limp/reasons to limp?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:00 PM

i think its fine to limp sometimes, nomatter what anyone says. there's games where you're probably throwing away money by not limping in with atc, although its rare.

i don't do it very often, but sometimes its better than folding in situations where raising is -ev. if i have something like a 56s and a couple of stations limp in front of me, i don't see how raising can be good. if i'm utg with a 56s or Axs, and i'm at a table (this is rare online) where people are limping 60+% of their hands and almost never raising, then i don't see a reason to throw my hand away.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 PM

simply:
-raise if u want to get ppl out of the pot
-limp if u don't mind a lot of ppl seeing the flop

so u can limp with the lower pps and suited connectors you could also just raise less
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM

in what position are u raising the specific hands?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Open limping is pretty much bad in general except for a few cases, limping after several other limpers isn't as bad