Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Default studying abroad in Paris

Hey guys, I'm studying abroad in Paris in the fall for 2 semesters.
Any general tips, hints, suggestions about France and French culture would be awesome.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: studying abroad in Paris

Yo, I studied for a year at the Sorbonne Paris III as part of my undergrad program. I studied EU politics entirely in French. Are you staying at the Cite Universitaire in the 14th arrondissement? If not, you should dude, best time there... Paris was beyond awesome, one of those memories I will think about on my death bed ya know?

Anyways, any questions pls fire away.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM

I'm gonna be there this fall, too. Where are you studying? I'm going to be at the ESCP-EAP (Business School), I think it's in the 11th arrondissement.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM

I'm studying at University of Paris IV – Cours de Civilisation Française de la Sorbonne.
I've really been told nothing about where I'm gonna be yet, haha.
I guess in another week they're sending out the housing assignments.

Oh and yeah, my friend went to Paris and said he asked for "une sandwiche" and some little girl yelled, "c'est une panini!!!"
Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't find the people in Paris to be absolutely wretched?

Maybe it's because I only spent a month there...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 AM

People are terrible, the girls are all anorexic and smoke wayyyyy too much. You can speak the best French and some Parisians will simply answer in english to enrage you. Grocery shopping is surprinsingly painful, when the cashier rings up your bill, they immediately go to the next person and doens't care if they mix up your stuff and theirs. Don't trust the walk sign on the street, Parisian drivers are crazy and will not stop for anything. Algerian gangs are everywhere and yes they are scary, I've had around 3-4 encounters with them in my year in Paris. If you're a girl, it's much much worse. Don't even try to check out the suburbs, the police don't even go there. Hmmm, some areas like pigales among others are definitely a no go zone at night, the gangs rule that place. My buddy and I were so crazy scared when we spent too much time in a cafe and had to walk home.

That being said, Paris is gorgeous, doing the most mundane errands can be a delight (Like ur hungry and want to get a panini and you cross the seine and have a great look at the Eiffel Tower). Paris is one of the most beautiful cities on earth, enjoy it while you can.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-04-2007, 05:10 PM

I didn't mind the people, I thought they were comperable to the people in Spain, there were a few rude people, but on the whole everyone I encountered in Paris was very helpful. I am jealous of you OP, take a lot of pictures. Do all there is to do in Europe. If you do any traveling, Lisbon is a great place.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 PM

I'm interested in hearing from others about places to see, both in France and the rest of Europe. There's a lot of places that would be fun to travel to (on the weekends), but the list is pretty big. I'm definitely planning on doing Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Prague, Munich (Oktoberfest), and probably London/Ireland. What do you guys think about places like Estonia, Athens, Vienna, Lisbon, etc.?