Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM

Default I have no business in this game 10/10 live

So this is a 5 handed 10/10 $2k max live game. The player on my right is an expert an has $a lot in front of him. The other 3 players all have about $1000 so I buy in for $1000 because I don't know how to play NL so covering the people that probably aren't good seems to make the most sense. The villain in this hand does not seem very good to me, I have seen him call a ton of raises both in and out of position and not really do anything postflop. I have been at the table only a few hands. I opened my first button to $30 with whatever I held and took it down after the sb called pf with a $50 cbet. After another orbit or so it is clear to me that $30 is probably not the best amount to raise, so the next hand I have AK UTG and open to $40, flop goes 5 ways K56r and I take it down with $170 cbet. The villain in the upcoming hand says something like "why so much?" I'm not sure what this means but I tell him I'll bet $10 next time, which is a thinly veiled and not very funny joke that means I am a minbet player.

So the hand:
Effective stacks close to $1200. Villain open limps in the CO after a fold. Good player in the SB checks. I have K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise to $50 in the BB, villain LRR to $130 total. SB folds. I make probably my first mistake in the hand and call. If I should 4bet how much should I have 4bet to?

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I make another mistake (?) and bet $250. Villain makes another comment about how much I bet and then raises to $600. I wish I raised again pf or knew how to play NL postflop and then fold. Was my donk on this flop okay? If the donk itself is okay should I have bet less like 160ish? If I check what is the plan?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: I have no business in this game 10/10 live

Make it $400ish pf.

As played, its probably a fold. With your pf action I would rather c/c this flop evaluate on turn.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM

make it $550 PF and call a shove
Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Preflop is fine. If you want to 4-bet, make it 500. I don't like the flop donk although it worked this time cause you are beat and can fold. Much prefer c/c.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Sean, I do remember this hand now. Against that guy, he still has a large range here. I think calling pf is marginally okay. The problem with kings here is that if your hand improves on the flop with a king, you hardly ever get much money in unless he does have aces or hits the flop somehow. Here it's five handed and with your stack size I think you have to 4bet, 500 or allin, same thing. I think your flop play was excellent. I don't like checkcall because you don't gain any information and with that flop you need information. Your range still includes monsters and nut flush draw when you bet out there. This is all due to your stack sizes; if you had 200+ bb stacks it would be much different.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make it $550 PF and call a shove

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Make it $420-450 ish preflop. If he goes all in reevaluate

Did you put him pf on QQ or AA ?

Post flop I dont mind your bet but I may have c/r him here instead. The problem with the hand as shown is you really havent got any info on his range by not rr pf.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 PM

I'd probably just shove pre.

He'll be all like "Why so much?" and call with AJ or pocket 8s or whatever crap he has.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 PM

As for post flop, I hope you were looking at him when the flop came out.

Given his tendency for small bets, I'd probably c/c down unless I got scared off by something.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for post flop, I hope you were looking at him when the flop came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly are you looking for in these spots?