Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Living on your own....

So,

I made a post a while ago about what people thought about living on your own vs. having roomies.

I think I may give this a try in 2-3 months when my lease expires, but I'm still concerned a little bit about the expense.

Can anyone out there give me a rough idea of what utilities run you for a 1-bedroom place?

(power, water, gas, cable/internet, etc).

FWIW I'm in the DC metro area, so if you have any good recommendations on places to stay I'd be happy to look.

I currently pay only 550 in rent (4bed house) + utils, so probably something like 700ish a month total. It's not that I can't afford an expensive place, but more the fact that I don't want to blow thousands of extra dollars a year for no reason if I don't like it.

Any other thoughts on living by yourself would be appreciated - I've wanted to try this for a while but am not completely set on it yet.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Living on your own....

I had a 1BR place in Houston for 6 months. Rent was $550, water was about $15, electricity was anywhere from $100-$250 based on my AC usage (big windows + 2nd floor place + bad window placement = sun on my windows all day long. Summer sucked). Cable and internet was another 60 or 70 or so. Maybe more on that, I don't remember.

I was about 30-40 minutes from downtown, maybe 15 minutes from the edge of town. I liked it.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM

Wow. Massachusetts def. sucks big time. I pay 950 for rent alone! Internet + cable = ~140, electric= ~50, gas= ~30.

Cliff notes: Don't live in MA.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:57 PM

I'm also in Mass. I am graduating now and not considering living by myself for awhile. Anything near Boston is outragesouly expensive... then include cable/internet, electricty, gas, etc...... $$$$$$$

Oh, and as for OP... i think the worst hike in terms of utilities will be your cable bill. One person paying for a ~$100 cable/internet bill every month can suck balls - whereas the other utils are obv based on usage.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Ya - around here 1bedrooms in any kind of desirable area are going for around $1000 (some with utils some without) - either way I'm looking at an addition $4000 expense per year.

Just wondering if it's worth it.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya - around here 1bedrooms in any kind of desirable area are going for around $1000 (some with utils some without) - either way I'm looking at an addition $4000 expense per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

May as well try it for the 2-3 months that you mentioned, and go from there. Personally, I wouldn't want to live by myself at my age, regardless of expenses. But, to each his own.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 PM

basically, living in a one-bedroom is never good from a financial perspective, unless you live with a girlfriend. my general feeling on living alone is that you're better off just getting better roommates. but if your financial situation is pretty comfortable i could see it having an upside.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I have a 1br in Fair Oaks, right across from the mall. 600sqft, with amenities like a gym and pool and parking garage, balcony, 1 bath, kitchen.

I paid $900/mo for rent. Electric was like $60/month, water like $15.

On a side note, I really didn't like living alone and don't plan to do it again for a long time.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM

I have a studio in Orange County, CA. Rent is $925, cable/internet is $100, electricity is like $20, xcept during summer is $50-60, gas is $15.

Also agree that living alone isn't much fun at all.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Z,
I also live in the DC area (Ballston VA, a few miles west of DC) with housemates. Financially renting with housemates, in this area at least, can be a big difference then living on in a one bedroom place that would cost $1000+ (before utilities).

Living in a house has addition benefits besides the saving money splitting utilities and cheaper rent. Parking for the most part is easier. I use to travel often and having people around to take care of mail, paying bills and other random tasks is helpful. Having parties/people over in bigger place like a house is also a plus.

I am sure I am forgetting other benefits...

If you would like to PM some other 2+2ers that live in the area for advice you may want to try ... asofel, jeffage, Wh1t3bread, slickpoppa and maybe even Tyler Durden.

Good luck,
-WMT-