Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Standard vs Unconventional play

3/6 10 handed game.
3 limps in front of me and 1 behind me after I limped with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Behind me the cutoff bets pot folded around to me and I call with 1 behind me to act, who ended up folding. I'd say unconventional, he was able to bet a good amount. Is it unconventional or retarded? How much -EV preflop you think there is involved?

Say the pot is $150 on a flop of J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

How much of a bet are you willing to call when you check and he bets all in for something less than the $150 pot? What do you give your chances against the set of hands he could hold?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Standard vs Unconventional play

I don't quite understand your question but however deep the stacks are, check-call the flop is not correct. You should push or check fold.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 PM

My question is if he had 20 behind him, you'd obviously put him all in (or chk call the all in). What if he had 40, 60, 80, 100? At what point do you think it costs too much to put more in after the flop?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Well, to be blunt, since you put it that way, I'd have to say retarded rather than unconventional. That's just not a PLO hand imo--even for a limp in EP.

But, ok, so maybe you're one of these players who sees every flop, and some of whom seem to survive that way. I'll at least throw in my defense of tight play: On a hand such as this, it's EXTREMELY unlikely to hit a good flop, where I'm defining good as either a strong made hand (top 2 or big set) or else a multi-outer (10+). Here's there's are very few strong straight draws to the nuts, and your set will obviously be as weak as it gets if you hit it. Ok, bottom set isn't all that bad, and you can play it. But it can often be a big problem, too. Why not restrict yourself to hands that at least CAN hit something that not every hand can--i.e., strong draws or big sets? Note that any 4 except quads can always hit a monster, such as quads on the right board. But one would like a little more than that, I would think.

Ok, so much for my polemic for at least fairly tight hand selection.

As to the flop question of how much to call: $0. As I see it, it's a gutshot to the lowest possible straight if a 6 hits and with an underpair to the entire board. I'd never even think about drawing to that, not even HU.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As to the flop question of how much to call: $0. As I see it, it's a gutshot to the lowest possible straight if a 6 hits and with an underpair to the entire board. I'd never even think about drawing to that, not even HU.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty retarded, you don't fold because "I only have a gutshot and I never call with those". For example you couldn't fold if he pushed all in for $1. If you do somehow end up in this situation, I expect you can call up to about $75 all in if the pot is $150.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 PM

$37.43