Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Pocket 10\'s late in a live tournament, with a raise in front.. .?????

Star & Stripes @ The Bike - down to 3 tables so everybody is in the moooney

My stack size is about 13,000 Just got moved to the table (1 orbit) so no real reads on anybody. Blinds are at 800-1600 with 200 ante

I'm in late position with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Folded to MP player with a stack of about 10k, who pumps it up to 5k

Is this the right time to come over the top and hope he or somebody behind me doesn't have a higher pair?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10\'s late in a live tournament, with a raise in front.. .?????

pooooosssssshhhhhhhh
Old 04-18-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10\'s late in a live tournament, with a raise in front.. .?????

Tens are like Jacks here. Playing them is a leap of faith. You either believe they are good and play them strongly, or don't believe they are good and play them conservatively. His raise is such that he almost commits you to shoving or folding. I can't see folding a decent pocket pair with an M of 6. I take the plunge here most of the time.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Villian's raise pretty much commits him. My guess is A/broadway or a med. pp. I think AA-QQ raises less looking for action. I think this is a pretty easy call.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian's raise pretty much commits him. My guess is A/broadway or a med. pp. I think AA-QQ raises less looking for action. I think this is a pretty easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call? Do you mean push? his stack is already shrinking.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10\'s late in a live tournament, with a raise in front.. .??

[ QUOTE ]
Tens are like Jacks here. Playing them is a leap of faith. You either believe they are good and play them strongly, or don't believe they are good and play them conservatively. His raise is such that he almost commits you to shoving or folding. I can't see folding a decent pocket pair with an M of 6. I take the plunge here most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the antes, one orbit costs us over 4,000 here. So our M is around 3. This is an easy push either way though. Villian is going to be making this move with a ton of hands given his shrinking stack.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 PM

doh! I did mean push. All you can eat, babee!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 PM

I pushed all in and he called and flipped over Jacks. The river brought a miracle 10 and I managed to stay in the game.

For me, calling wasn't really an option, if 2 overcards hit the flop it's too easy to get outplayed.