Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Default The Right Call?

I was playing in a home game with friends this past Saturday night. A Single table tourmament, nothing special, and I use it as training ground really, although i find it harder playing with friends. Me and another friend are the superior two of the group. Anyhow, there was 6 of us. £5 in each, 3 places 1st gets £15 and 2nd and 3rd got a tenner.

It was down to the last three, and my main competition had been eliminated. The blinds were at 2-4 and i had about 70 chips infront of me. To my left was someone who had about 90 chips, a very tight player, and not very aggressive, although is learning aggression and picking up a few things. To my right i had a typical loose-passive player, who was on the short stack with about 25 chips.

In this particular hand, I'm on the button, first to act. I make a standard raise of 12 chips total (8 raise) with the K-10 of diamonds. The tight player in the small blind immediatley calls. The short-stack moves all in. I call the extra 8 chips, and so does the tight player immediatley.

The side-pot is formed, and the flop comes 10-5-2 with two diamonds. A Brilliant flop for my hand. The tight player is first to act, and announces "all-in in the side pot" he has me covered in chips, so if i call and lose the tourmament is over. But i figure that he has an overpair, such as Jacks Queens Kings Or Even Aces. I'm willing to gamble that its not kings or aces, cos im sure he would have gone all-in before the flop knowing his style of play. So i put him on jacks or queens and quickly call. He flips up 10-10. His trips hold up and he wins the tournament, i'm placed 2nd and the short-stack third.

Given this situation and everything i aformentioned... was this call correct? I figured i would win with any diamond, any king, or any ten. I was only right about the diamond part, but then he could have made a full house.

Given the situation, was it the right call? The chances of him holding 10-10 were minimal and i didnt even consider it. If i did put him on trips, was folding the obvious move?

Any advie/feedback is appreciated,

Regards,
Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: The Right Call?

Yes, top pair and the 2nd nut flush draw was an insta-call.

If he exposed his hand and you saw that he had a set of 10's, it still might have been a call, depending on the pot odds, which are impossible to calculate since you didn't provide stack sizes.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:47 PM

Default Re: The Right Call?

I did provide stack sizes...