Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Default 5/5 hand at T-STONE

First MSNL post,
Villain is young, around my age(19) stack of around 700 from original 500 max buy in. I'm sitting on around 1500, been very active. we're playing 7 handed. I raise to 30(standard raise had been 25 or 30) on button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] sb calls Villian in bb calls. flop A93 rainbow checked to me i bet 35, sb folds, bb raises to 100. I feel he thinks im c-betting with air and i beat him in pot. turn 6 check check. river K check check, he tables k7. I guess what my question really is is basically, 1. At what point is protecting your hand more important than saving money when villain does have me beat on flop? Obviously my hand is very vulnerable to random bluff with an overcard to my 9 hands. Is 3 betting the flop and losing value when calling his bluffs on later streets AND losing money when he has an ace the right play. Or is calling in that spot acceptable. Also should i have bet turn instead of checking it as i did to call bluff on river. Any input appreciated
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: 5/5 hand at T-STONE

First of all you proly wouldnt have gotten raised if you made a decent c-bet, you bet 1/3pot and he raised you casue you were weak. Calling him isnt bad, no need to raise, he just hit. Mistake is on the flop.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM

With the pot at $90 going to the flop I would continuation bet when checked to about $65-70. Fold to the flop raise. You could be drawing practically dead to a set or two pair or he might be raising you with a nine, which if the turn would bring another nine would be disastrous.

Flop is really dry as far as board texture so you generally don't see a draw here so folding to that raise is really standard, even if he outplayed you this time.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 PM

don't bet like a woman on the flop and hands will be easier to play [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM

I like to check this back since it induces a lot of decent villains to bluff with small pps, KQ KJ type hands.

This is a great spot for a villain in the blinds to c/r a button raise + c bet and a spot i find myself in a lot.

as played though when he c/r and checks turn to us, he looks real weak and betting again against some opponents is a good idea.

as played though, please c bet more on flop or not at all.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 AM

yea you bet way too little on the flop.
3/4 pot it.

also you say that he thinks you've been c-betting with air.

so why don't you bet the turn to make him think.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't bet like a woman on the flop and hands will be easier to play [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

also you say that he thinks you've been c-betting with air.

so why don't you bet the turn to make him think.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't see any value in betting the turn, hes folding his bluff hands and im only getting called/raised there when im beat.
also i bet small on flop trying to induce a bluff, not in order to be womanly
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

as played though when he c/r and checks turn to us, he looks real weak and betting again against some opponents is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ] i really should have fired and taken it down on turn. yeah i lose money when he bluffs river, but this way i protect my pair of nines. i doubt he is checking a hand after his c/r was called on flop
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Generally I like to c-bet more as most have said. But accepting your small (bluff inducing c-bet), why didn't you bet turn when he showed weakness after the induced bluff c/r. You gave free river to too many hands that call pre and c/r bluff the flop. jmho.