Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 PM

Default I got DDoS attacked twice last night, is comp still (relatively) safe?

So I was downloading a few things off torrent last night while playing some good ole WC3, and then my Kapersky Anti-Hacker popped up and said it just prevented a DDoS attack and internet access to my computer has been temporarily disabled. I thought, okay, no big deal, although it never happened to me before it didn't seem like too big a deal. Then after about 20 mins Kapersky gave me internet again and then it happened again.

This is the point where I started to worry.

So after the second attack I told Kapersky to disable all internet. I let that sit around for a bit over an hour and then resumed internet with all programs off (including torrent). I left the computer on overnight to see if it would happen again, but I woke up to no alerts or warnings.

My question is, is there any way I could be getting these attacks without my computer security being severely compromised? Is it possibly some kid I was downloading the torrent from being a douche?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: I got DDoS attacked twice last night, is comp still (relatively) s

a DDOS means that several computers are flooding your computer's internet connection with gargage packets to keep you from being able communicate. That you were subject to such an attack does not necessarily mean that any malware is installed on your machine. However, it is possible that you have acquired some trojan that is sending out a message to target you. Because torrent is, as I undertand it, based on distributing files among a number of computers, it is possible that using it was causing a false positive for a DDOS.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:55 PM

Ah, that makes sense. I hope it was a false positive. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM

A denial of service attack is big stuff. Seems weird to use that tactic to target a little guy. I agree with false positive.