Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 10:59 AM

Default Home Schooling

In the my daughter...blah blah thread he mentions he homeschools his daughter, is this common in the states, it is very very uncommon in Australia (perhaps not in very remote communities, though when I lived in the country side I went to school even though it only had 7 kids - the entire school).

So post your opinions, i'm generally of the idea that it is incredibly stupid to not allow a child that school life and all the things it comes with (good and bad). But I am then only a young'un myself at 22.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Home Schooling

It's becoming more prevalent here in recent years. I wish I had the time to do it. A lot of people think it's an issue because of the social aspects of school. There are plenty of ways around this. Just make sure they do plenty of Little League, and other extra-curricular activities. Also, a lot of homeschool parents/kids get together in groups to do field trips, etc. And some parents trade off teaching different subjects to each others kids that they're more knowledgeabel about.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 AM

Homeschooling = pointless

I know that you get to control what your kids see, do, and who the hang out with? Your kids will never learn "the real world" imo because they never have to interact with anyone besides mom and dad/family.

I know of some kids that were homeschooled and they turned off the TV during commericals. I was like "wtf?" They parents told them that commericals were bad so they always turned off the TV.

Talk about blindly believing everything your parents tell you...

I think it is best for children to interact with people of different ages and learn how to handle themselves in different situations. They won't learn this if they are homeschooled.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:06 AM

I think home schooling is dumb. Most of the people I've known who were homeschooled (10+, not a huge amount but still) ended up pretty weird / smelly.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think home schooling is dumb. Most of the people I've known who were homeschooled (10+, not a huge amount but still) ended up pretty weird / smelly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My neighbors homeschool their two sons. They are definitely different than most kids and not really in good way. They're nice kids, but they lack social skills.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:09 AM

gmack15, You think school = the real world?

The point isn't to shelter them. The point is to give them a better education than the crappy schools do.

[ QUOTE ]
I know of some kids that were homeschooled and they turned off the TV during commericals. I was like "wtf?" They parents told them that commericals were bad so they always turned off the TV.

Talk about blindly believing everything your parents tell you...

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this interesting because teaching my kids not to be [censored] sheep is one specific reason I don't want them in public schools. I want them to think for themselves, which is definitely not what most schools encourage.

How are they learning to react to edifferent situations by sitting in the same classes with the same 30 kids listening to an overworked, undermotivated teacher drone on day after day? Giving them a variety of experiences is exactly what I'd want to do, and another good reason for homeschooling.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's becoming more prevalent here in recent years. I wish I had the time to do it. A lot of people think it's an issue because of the social aspects of school. There are plenty of ways around this. Just make sure they do plenty of Little League, and other extra-curricular activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that would help my neighbor's kids tremendously. They are ALWAYS home.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Mind you commercials are actually bad. It's basically subtle mind control.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My neighbors homeschool their two sons. They are definitely different than most kids and not really in good way. They're nice kids, but they lack social skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely can be an issue, but it's not really one that can't be worked around, plus i know plenty of people with no social skills that did go to public schools.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Your right gunny highway...they just sit in a classroom for 8 hours a day and never move.

Certain schools are better than others yes, but I think that we should let teachers teach kids instead of homeschooling them (unless you are a teacher yourself).

They don't sit with the same 30 kids day in a day out. There are other activites that they do. I am talking about 7th grade and beyond. Most teachers do what they do for a reason and most teachers are not undermotivated. Most teachers love their students and that is the reason that are teachers (they don't do it for the money)

If your kids are homeschooled then how often do they interact with other people? How often do they go on group field trips? How often do yall switch and have other people teach them?

Sure maybe homeschooling works best when kids are younger (K-4/5 grade) but kids need to interact socially with on a daily basis. They get that from public/private school, not homeschooling.