Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM

Default A Game of numbers

I dont know how many of you have played this, but i started playing a numbers game on the site moola.

You and your opponent each have 6 numbers to use when bidding on 6 prizes. Your 6 numbers are 1 - 6 and the prizes are 1 - 6.

A random number is put up to bid on, then you each bid, winner gets the total points of the bidded object, your bid and the opponents bid, so if the first number is 5, I bid 6 and my opponent bids 4, my points are 15.

The first person to reach 32 points wins, OR if there are ties the person with the most points wins. I was wondering how many people have played it and if there is a stratagey anyone uses when playing.

It's a free site to play, but uses real money cause they give you a free pennie to use everytime u lose your money.

Anyway, does this seem like a beatable game or is it all just luck?

Here is a link to try it if you havent yet, and this is NOT an affiliate link or anything like that, i dont get money for singing people up, i just play this all the time and was wondering if anyone ever has worked out any stratagey on this.

http://www.moola.com:80/moopubs/b2b/...67324d44673d-2

thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: A Game of numbers

Perhaps this post would be better suited for "other gambling games"? By no stretch of imagination is this a poker game.

A few people have found the game-theoretic optimal strategy for "Gold Rush", and the people who use it have claimed some success. (60-70% win rate against typical players.)

Here was my post about it, with a link to the output of my solver (which was quite large because I didn't set things up in the best way)
http://markgritter.livejournal.com/352822.html

Somebody came by later and pointed to their online solver, but I have no idea how well it works in practice:
http://www.emptymoat.com/moola-gold-rush/moola.html
Old 08-12-2007, 04:21 AM

Yeah im sure this is out of place, sorry im really unfamiliar with this forum. thank you for the reply, I tried the 2nd link you gave me with the neatly made program since it is so user friendly and it seems like it may have some bugs to me, I know that it says its only about a 4:3 favorite using the stratagey, but I had a game come up where it almost felt as though the program was trying to get me to lose.

Mine drops a 6
It suggests a 5, I play it, opponent plays a 1
Mine drops a 2
It suggests I play a 1.

Right here I am having alarms go off. To me it seems the worst thing that can happen in this game, besides you not having a 6 and your opponent holding both 6 and 5 still, is losing an individual round by 1 point. I think it gives the maximum value for your opponent out of their number. Since he played the 1 on a large number (the 6) he is almost definetly one of those players who starts out playing 1 and then 2 regardless of what hits, in which case by playing my 1 on the 2 that just fell, I am setting myself up to lose to my opponent who can only play a 2 at the lowest which is exactly what he did.

Next a 3 falls and it suggests I play a 6, I am definetly not liking this idea, but I play it and my opponent plays his 3.

Now the score is
Me: 24
Opp: 5 and I have 432 while he holds 654 and the game is over since I cant win another hand and when the next block falls it tells me i should play ' X ' Which i can only assume is, You're Focked.

Would you agree with this stratagey in this situation or do you think sometimes it goes a little over aggressive?

Again thanks for the reply.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mine drops a 6
It suggests a 5, I play it, opponent plays a 1
Mine drops a 2
It suggests I play a 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be assuming it would always suggest you play a 1 in this situation.

It should suggest you play:
1) 52.50%
2) 0.00%
3) 32.35%
4) 15.45%
6) 0.00%

If you play 1, then yes a response of 2 by your opponent is bad for you, but if you play 3 or 4, then that same response of 2 by your opponent is good for you.