Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Turn Fold with TPGK

Villain is 24/19/1.4.

Preflop cap isn't really standard for me against 19 pfr 3bettor from sb, but coldcaller was 74/2 fish and I felt like capping, so big daddy capped.

I think after overrepresenting my hand preflop this is a good fold, but am wondering what you guys think.

The colors and stuff on the turn action are off a little because I had to type it in myself (converter issues), but its the actual action.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> SB bets</font>, hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

EDIT: The converter says this is 4 handed, but I remember it being 6 handed or at least 5 handed. 4 handed the preflop cap is totally standard imo.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Turn Fold with TPGK

I don't like the cap.

Good turn fold.

Surf
Old 03-12-2006, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the cap.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with position?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Uh-oh!

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 16.4751 % 03.98% 12.50% { AhQh }
Hand 2: 83.5249 % 71.02% 12.50% { AA, JJ, AJs+, AJo+ }

11.5:2 effective odds = 14.8% . My implied odds are pretty solid.

Especially if there's any chance he could have like AT here or even JK this looks bad now. What do you think?

Or do you think AQ should be discounted a lot because it wouldn't checkraise this flop as frequently as AA/JJ/AJ would? Its really the presence of a split with AQ that is boosting me from 5% equity to 16%.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:53 PM

I think it's pretty close, actually. I actually prefer to invest another SB on the flop (and open myself up to investing 2 there) by three-betting because I will fold with greater confidence to any further aggression post-the-flop. Pre-flop cap is OK, I think (not always, but fine against this line-up some of the time).
Old 03-12-2006, 09:03 PM

i think the preflop cap is very very easy 4 handed. your hand is huge and SB could easily have KQ/Ax. there is a thread in midhigh that i was reading a few days ago by enon in which a tag raises, a fish coldcalls and he calls in the SB with A7s. everyone decided that 3betting preflop to get out the tag BB was better and i agree. SB could easily have a smaller ace making a cap very profitable.

i think the turn fold is horrible. SB could easily have a smaller ace and figure he might as well checkraise now to get you to pay the most bets with KK or whatever. i really really disagree with it.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 PM

I dont like it and I dont think you overrepresented your hand preflop either. I think itīs a very standard cap here.
If anything, he should be more likely to try and get you to fold KK/QQ after you cap preflop.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Uh-oh!

If you have a really really solid read maybe you can fold (even then this fold is so super rare for me it almost never hanppens.). but the pot is pretty decent sized, its heads up, your effective odds are not to shabby. I mean if you want to pstove a pretty tight range, this is what you get:

(this is a pretty general tight range and takes out KK, QQ, ATo, KJs, etc...so it definitly improves the situation if he can hold these hands anywhere from 30%-10% of the time it improves you to practically a coinflip on the flop and a 5-3 dog on the turn to the river)

Tight range FLOP:

Board: Ad Jh 5c
Dead:

Hand 1: 29.1562 % 17.85% 11.30% { AhQh }
Hand 2: 70.8438 % 59.54% 11.30% { AA, JJ, ATs+, AJo+ }

Tight Range TURN:

Board: Ad Jh 5c 8s
Dead:

Hand 1: 22.3784 % 10.83% 11.55% { AhQh }
Hand 2: 77.6216 % 66.07% 11.55% { AA, JJ, ATs+, AJo+ }

So compared with the effective odds on both streets, not to bad.

On a side not I had a hand almost like this, against a tag I know, my hand started 5 handed though, but he did have ATo. But I had a read where I figured he was being loose-ish and maybe not being to solid. If you have a read this guy will only do this with hands that beat you, maybe you can find a fold. Depends on whats happeneing I suppose...if the pot was smaller maybe it would be easier to find a fold as well.

anyway, I usually dont fold this, especially given the pot size...this hand is usually tied to seeing a showdown.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:13 PM

I edited my post, but I'm pretty sure this hand was 6 handed and the converter messed up. If it were 4 handed I agree that its an easy cap preflop
Old 03-12-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I edited my post, but I'm pretty sure this hand was 6 handed and the converter messed up. If it were 4 handed I agree that its an easy cap preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I could've sworn I saw two folds between you and button pre-flop in the initial post (making it 6-handed). I too think it's a solid cap 4-handed; if it's six-handed, it is still a good cap IMHO though I won't do it alll the time (it will depend in part on whether the fish and the Villain's post-flop playstyle makes me think having the initiative is better / worse than leaving it with SB post-flop).