Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Trojan scanner?

Could someone recommend some software that will scan for trojans? An actual program or an online scan will both be fine. Ewido seems to be finding occasional trojans popping up, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Trendmicro's online scan keeps crashing my browser for some reason.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Trojan scanner?

spybot search and destroy http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10289035.html
ad-aware se personal http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Old 06-12-2006, 09:50 PM

You can get Microsofts Defender beta 2 for free at Microsoft Defender Beta 2

They also have product called OneCare which is beta. There is a way you can ask to participate but you'll have dig around the MS site to find out how.

I use Norton System works and Personal Firewall which has served me well for years. It has on occacion warned my daughter that something she downloaded had a trojan in it. It has antivirus, firewall, and other security stuff well as some usefull utilities such as registry checker, defragmenter, diagnostics, and ability to change things that you would normally have to change the registry to do.

Its normal price is $80-100 but I periodically see rebate offers that drop the price to very low.

There are lost of other products but I haven't tried any of them so I can not make any recommendations. There are some that scan for free but then want you to buy it to do anything. Some of them are crap or dangerous. Others from reputable companies are probably good. I've stuck with what I know works. Nothing is guaranteed to be perfect.

Trojans are serious problems and usually are the result of using free, often pirated, software that has bad stuff inside. Sometimes getting rid of one can be quit difficult even if you know what you are doing and involves both deleteing files and modifying the registry. Sometimes for that type probem, someone or company will write a program that does it automically.

If your system is sick and you don't know what to do you may need professional help.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 PM

You can try the Emisoft Asqaured free also. It requires email registration, but it is free.