Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 05:52 AM

Default $16: Tough spot with 99

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO (t1625)
Button (t4445)
SB (t600)
Hero (t2915)
UTG (t1795)
MP (t2120)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t675) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t300</font>, Hero folds.

I felt like I didn't have any good options preflop, but maybe I'm wrong. Villain had fairly aggressive preflop stats. Shoving 20BB preflop seems like it'd at least be pretty high variance, but maybe that's the play. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Re: $16: Tough spot with 99

I dont see anything wrong with how you played it. You did have a good option preflop and that was calling. Aggresive players are the easiest to stack so you are getting nice value if you hit a set here.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see anything wrong with how you played it. You did have a good option preflop and that was calling. Aggresive players are the easiest to stack so you are getting nice value if you hit a set here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, theres no reason to push here and raising is clearly terrible as youve reopened betting, youre OOP should he call, and youve made the pot larger and more difficult to manuever. Where this hand gets tricky is when the flop comes T56 or something to this nature, which is why youll be happy you kept the pot small as possible and havent committed yourself at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 AM

You have odds to play for set value here and you close the action, I like your play of just flat calling.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 AM

maybe put in a reraise on the flop to see where you're standing.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst option available, IMO.
If he pushes, do you really know where youre standing? If he has AK/AQ youre giving up a ton of chips by folding. And if youd call isnt it better to just push pre?

If he calls, youre OOP against the only player who can stack you with a pair that is VERY likely to flop overcards, and youve already invested at least 1/4 your stack. YUCK!

DO NOT RAISE THIS PREFLOP!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst option available, IMO.
If he pushes, do you really know where youre standing? If he has AK/AQ youre giving up a ton of chips by folding. And if youd call isnt it better to just push pre?

If he calls, youre OOP against the only player who can stack you with a pair that is VERY likely to flop overcards, and youve already invested at least 1/4 your stack. YUCK!

DO NOT RAISE THIS PREFLOP!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm I think he was referring to re-raising on the flop, not preflop (that said, I wouldn't re-raise this on the flop either against the big stack).