Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Default What\'s the best play here?

I decided to play a little PLO today for the first time in a while. It took me a little bit to get back up to speed and then I got this hand:

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($52.50)
UTG ($21.55)
MP ($26.70)
Button ($12.05)
SB ($13.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.10, UTG folds, MP calls $1.10.

Flop: ($4.40) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, MP calls $1, Button calls $1.

Turn: ($7.40) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $7.05</font>, Hero ????

The pot sized bet made me think he didn't have the boat since he was trying to push people out of the pot. Do the nut flush and nut straight draws make this worth a call?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best play here?

First of all why the $1 bet on the flop? You pretty much let him know here that you dont have much, most likely a draw your trying to build the pot with. I think in this position he probably has an overpair and hes pretty much put himself all in. I agree the boat looks unlikely here so you have about 15 outs against two pair, pretty much a coinflip.

Another way to play this is to bet out the pot on the flop. You possibly get the overpair to fold and it might look like you hit the boat on the turn inducing a fold even if he calls the flop. Any reasoning behind betting a $1 on the flop?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:02 PM

First off, I don't think this flop bet accomplishes much. Either try to take the pot down or check. Don't just announce to the table that you have a weak straight draw you'd like to see the turn with.

Then on the turn, you don't have a "nut straight draw" or a "nut flush draw". Even if you're absolutely sure that he doesn't have a boat, there's still a pretty good chance he's got trips and any "outs" you hit could be dirty if they fill him up. You should really just let this one go.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 PM

All I was saying by "nut flush" and "nut straight" is that I'm drawing to the best possible flush and the best possible straight, not to the "nuts". Sorry if I didn't use terms you liked.

What is the better play on the flop? Bet the pot or check?