Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Fewer line drives hit to first base than third?

I have nothing other than my own flawed memory and perceptions for this claim. But it seems to me that there are significantly more line drives and well-hit balls hit in the direction of third base, as opposed to first base.

Am I simply wrong? If I'm right, why is this the case? Is this simply a matter of there being a lot more right-handed hitters in the league than left-handers? My impression is that there are well over twice as many line drives hit to the left side of the infield than the right, but are there really that many more right-handed hitters than left-handed hitters?

Does my perception have anything to do with the positioning of the infielders?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Fewer line drives hit to first base than third?

If there were more line drives hit to first, then it (and the whole right side of the infield) would be a more difficult position. Most hitters are right-handed.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 PM

I haven't been able to find the stats, but I'm guessing that 2:1 righty vs lefty is probably pretty close to the actual ratio. Throwing in switch hitters may muddle it, since many switch hitters don't pull the ball as much with the offhand, etc.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM

What percentage of the league do you think is right-handed? Is it really as much as 65%, which is the percentage that I would guess of the number of balls hit to the left side?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say like 50-60% righty, 20-25% lefty, and 20-25% switch hitters, for non-pitcher players. I am grabbing those numbers totally out of thin air, though.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM

I checked out 10 "random" MLB rosters (by random, of course, I mean the first 10 teams that came to mind) and came up with these results:

72 RH (57%)
38 LH (30%)
16 SH (12%)

Benholio was pretty dead on about RH batters, but overestimated switch hitters (consequently undervaluing strict lefties).

Sample size and all that of course.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM

Yep, it appears that I had too many switch and not enough lefties. Still haven't found a great stat on this, but based on some guys research paper based on 2005 stats, there were about 56% RH, 31% LH, 13% SH. This lines up with your sample as well.

Is There an Association Between Batting Side And Fielding Position Among Current Major League Baseball Players? (duh)
Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 PM

I don't know the facts, so I'll let other elaborate, but re: your perception...maybe you notice those hit to 3rd more because they are more noticeable.

Meaning, smashes to first are boom, ball in glove, step on bag, end of story. Those hit to third are the same, but the play is more rushed, and the transfer from player to first (the throw) is longer, therefore, the event is more noticeable.

The only time I really notice hard hit balls to the right side, is when it's a double-play situation and it's always some awkward throw for the firstbaseman to throw to second, esp. if they are righty lol Giambino! Or they step on first (if ridic. close to it) and throw to 2nd for the tag play, both plays leave an impression on me because they are abnormal.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 PM

Looking at the roster is a horrible way to determine this. A lot of everyday lineups are set up to try and be lefty-righty balances. Although only 30% of major leaguers are left-handed hitters I would imagine they come up to the plateb at a higher precentage, combine that with the fact that switch hitters are batting left-handed most of the time, the % of AB's taken by righties to lefties is probably clsoer to 50/50 than you guys think. I'd guess 60/40 ish
Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at the roster is a horrible way to determine this. A lot of everyday lineups are set up to try and be lefty-righty balances. Although only 30% of major leaguers are left-handed hitters I would imagine they come up to the plateb at a higher precentage, combine that with the fact that switch hitters are batting left-handed most of the time, the % of AB's taken by righties to lefties is probably clsoer to 50/50 than you guys think. I'd guess 60/40 ish

[/ QUOTE ]

So you say our obviously simplistic method is flawed, and then you estimate a ratio that is obscenely similar to what we came up with?

EDIT: Also, you aren't factoring in when teams compensate in their lineups when a lefthander is on the mound.