FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 03:29 PM

Default $4 180 Stars SNG

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t60</font>, Button calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t90)</font>, SB calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t150)</font>, BB folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t200, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t165</font>, Button calls t165 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t365)</font>, SB calls t165 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t530)</font>.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t695, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t575</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises all-in t1015</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t440 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2285)</font>.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t2725, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t2725)

Results:
Final pot: t2725

This was only the 2nd hand in the tourny,and of course I was worried I was beaten on the turn but after he didn't raise me on the flop I wasn't so sure he had top pair,I thought it was more likely a semi bluff with a flush draw,as I've seen that time and time again in these low buy in donkathons.

If I could just hear a few thoughts from someone with more knowledge than me.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: $4 180 Stars SNG

The bet on the flop is marginal, but when you get two callers, you know you're probably beat.

Then, when you're raised on the turn, you not only know you're beat, you know you're destroyed.

Slow the hell down, especially early on.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM

So you think this could be a spot where I don't make a continuation bet,even with a club draw on the board and 2nd pair? I tend to make continuation bets almost everytime unless the board is really scary.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think this could be a spot where I don't make a continuation bet,even with a club draw on the board and 2nd pair? I tend to make continuation bets almost everytime unless the board is really scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

The c-bet is a judgment call, but with a draw out there, and with a weak, 2 outer type hand, I might find a check here and play the next hand.

The turn bet is spew, and that's what I'm trying to get across. The call of the turn raise is just disgusting.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM

It's early on, and medium pairs don't play so well at this stage. Even though everyone behind you has folded, there's a good chance the people ahead of you will still call, especially a raise to only 60. At this stage of the tourney, I only want to raise the strongest few hands, and raise them to around 100. Before the flop I'd limp 88 and hope to hit a set on the flop.

Two callers on the flop probably means you're beat, and I'd check/fold the turn.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:58 PM

I think you play a hand like 88's for set value this early in a tourney... There is no need to C-bet here against anything other then a super weak post flop field and I dont think you could have that read this early on...

Comrade - Stacks are deep enough that a raise here is still good IMO, if there isnt any money in the pot when you hit the set you will get alot less action from your opponents... make them commit chips to the pot and you will be much more likely to get paid off when you hit that set... I'm on the same page as you though as far as playing a MPP for set value early in a Tourney...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:05 PM

I don't usually c-bet into 2 players, but if you're gonna do it, you can probably go a little less, like 100-125. Then c/f turn w/o improvement.

(edited to remove jerkiness)
Old 03-04-2007, 05:07 PM

LOL I didnt even read the full title i just saw that SNG was capped... I know what a 4 180 is [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit - Fixed it thanks for pointing that out...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(edited to remove jerkiness)

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL, dont worry about it I'm glad you pointed it out, I need to pay more attention before I just drop a Post... I need you guys to keep me in line from time to time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Ok guys I understand now.

Thanks for your speedy help.