Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Default HAND SWAP: 88 vs preflop 3 bettor on JTx board

Here is the hand history and the ensuing discussion with my hand swap partner. Please check my thought process and tell me if it sucks.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6.66 BB

<font color="red">SWAP PARTNER: Tough spot here……OOP to a 3 better with a JTx twotone flop. You were “correct” to call it down but even if we’re looking at two overcards w/ a draw we are behind in the hand. I don’t like a C/C line here and would rather C/R thrown in there to show some strength but im not sure, good hand for the forum. Maybe C/R the flop and lead any brick turn and see what happens. There’s a better line than c/c.
</font>

<font color="blue">ME: I think my plan in this hand was to fold if a Q,K, or A came on the turn or river. If the river blanked off and my opponent bet again, I would strongly consider folding, but might call – I think it is close. The reason I don’t like reopening the betting on the flop is because villain could easily make it 3-bets with KQ, AQ, or AK, especially if he has a big spade in his hand. I think in that case I would be forced to fold. Also, I know that if I check it on the flop and the turn, villain will likely double barrel with AK, AQ, and KQ.

Checking out pokerstove, with my opponents 3-betting range at 88+,ATs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo, I have ~35% equity on the flop and am getting 8:1 immediate odds, 12:5 odds to call down. The situation is better than 12:5 however, because I am not automatically calling down all turn and river cards.
</font>
Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: HAND SWAP: 88 vs preflop 3 bettor on JTx board

Generally if the J or T were the only overcard I'd like c/r'ing the flop because I still like my hand vs. a flop 3bet. This flop vs. a Tag I like c/c, c/c, c/f since 3barrelling AK/AQ is dumb. Anyway I'm just answering my own made up questions here. Yah this is a [censored] spot w/ no reads i dunno.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 PM

flop and turn are played well

river is a tough spot imo.

with that range you gave me, if he will value bet any pair+ and bluff with KQ more than around half the time you need to call. it seems pretty reasonable that villain could do this, trying to push you off AK AQ or another KQ

if villain is a showdown monkey and you trust him somewhat you could b/f instead. the bet isn't +EV in itself, but getting value from AK AQ makes it more +EV than c/c
Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if villain is a showdown monkey and you trust him somewhat you could b/f instead. the bet isn't +EV in itself, but getting value from AK AQ makes it more +EV than c/c

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting idea. I know I always say **** when I get donked into on this river with AK / AQ / KQ. I kinda like the b/f line against a straight-forward villain.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 AM

So your never that far ahead but sometimes behind so you should raise? Especially when someone w/AK may 3 bet you just for fun with ten outs? I don't understand what the raise on the flop would accomplish, no information, no value it seems to me.