Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Help with my play last night!

Hey everyone, been reading the forum for years. You guys and gals have a great site going and I'm glad I finally joined "officially" My reason for signing up/posting is because of a play I made last night in a tournament. Let me begin by saying that this was a small tournament ($70 buy-in/55 people) There wasnt much money to be won but I try to play every tournament, rather its $10 or $10,000 the same. I have been playing poker, cash and tournaments, for years. I am by no means a beginner. I have had my moments where I have lost thousands during a session but never have I had 1 hand that is bothering me so much. Im not sure why it is but it is! I will lay it out and you tell me your opinion.

We are playing the above mentioned tournament and we are at the final table. 7 players left and I am 1 of 3 big stacks. Blinds are 800/1600 with a 300 ante. Under the gun raises to 5500 (he is the big stack) at the time and based on chips, 5500 is a rather large raise. Action is on me. I am next to act, I look down and see QQ. I have about 14,000 in chips. I think it over for several minutes and this what I come up with. The guy raising that large under the gun has a big hand. I put him on a big ace or AA/KK I know that if I come over the top for 8500 more he is going to call. So with me putting him on a big Ace, I just smooth call. My logic here is this, we see the flop and if an Ace hits the board im done. Ive put him on a big ace, I know if I go all in he will call. If I just smooth call and an Ace hits the board im out and dont go broke. Flop come rag,rag,ACE!

Im thinking to myself that Ive made a pretty good move by just smooth calling. Action is on him and he bets 3000. Now im even more confused! A 3000 bet into a 15,000+ pot. I think it over, the whole time Ive put him on an Ace and here is his 3000 bet begging to get called. So I, once again, call hoping to hit a set on the turn or see his action after the turn. No way I can fold to a 3000 bet in that size pot. The turn is a 10. Action is on him and he bets me all-in. It doesnt take me long to fold, in the process I flip my cards and have a few choice words for the Ace that hit the board. As he is raking the pot he flips over JJ. Arrrgghhhh!!!

Now I'm beating myself up over not going all in pre-flop. For some reason its just killing me! I was left with a few thousand and got put out about 10 hands later. Talking with the dealer after I was out, he thought I was an idiot and didnt see my logic in just calling pre-flop. Looking back on it I go all-in. I was just one of 3 big stacks and wanted to get some smaller stacks out before I risked my stack. Also, Im not the type of player that likes to race off my chips, especially at the final table. With me putting him on a big ace, I have enough chips to withstand losing the 5500 call. Does anyone see my logic or did I just make a terrible play? I also can not figure out what he put me on to be betting like he did.

Sorry for such a long first post. I will look forward to everyones comments

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Help with my play last night!

to long didnt read, and you suck
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Unfortunately I read it and you are awful. Push preflop.
EDIT: And you're right, you're not a beginner. Beginners are much better.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to long, and you suck

[/ QUOTE ]
and push pre.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM

[x] folding QQ with 14k at 800/1600/300, and then getting shown worse [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[x] considers that a big stack
Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM

I'll be more kind. While I understand you're logic, I don't agree with it.

AA and KK don't over bet UTG here as the big stack, they WANT action. You're looking at QQ- here. Likely a decent hand, but one that wouldn't mind a fold either. 99-JJ. QQ will usually want some action, and since you have QQ it makes it really unlikely he also has QQ.

You're ahead here preflop almost all the time, plus, he'll likely call your push.

You can't always allow yourself to see AA and KK or you'll never play a hand.

This is a $70 buy in tourny. People see AA and KK here and they are thinking how to get maximum money from the pot, not open too large and fold everyone.

While you might see AK here sometimes, you still ahead even then. A preflop push is by far the best play by what you've posted.

As played, you have to call the river, you've played so passively than almost any hand UTG opened with will try and force you out of the pot. You gave up iniative on the hand, with a 1% starting hand, never tested UTG, played scared of the A, of course UTG put you all in on the river.

Edit. Calling with QQ for set mining here is terrible. If you're read was really AA or KK, then just open fold. You're calling $5,500, you are 1 in 8 to hit on the flop, so you'd need to have to win $44,000 to be even, and you only have $14,000. Never call off a third of your stack hoping to hit a set.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he knew I was an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM

There is no way this guy has been reading the forum for years and still tried to make a strategy post in BBV. Definitely a fake.

In the event it isn't, people aren't raising big with AA/KK to try to scare people away from calling.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM

didnt read, dont care. strategy in bbv?

just push preflop, your playing UNLIMITED texas holden right?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM

action would depend on payout structure and other stacks and positions obv, but with M = ~3 I think this is a push pf