Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 PM

Default bankroll question

assume that i am a marginally winning player at the 1/2 level in LIMIT O8 and that i am multi-tabling full ring games...

what is the recommended bankroll for this. i have heard that it is around 300 big bets for LIMIT holdem, but is it lower for LIMIT O8??

thx
Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: bankroll question

I've read that you can get by on 100 big bets in a limit split pot game, but some risk of ruin would have to come with that.

I think Brian Townsend said that you should have 20 buyins for any nl or pl game that you play, and 10 buyins for any limit game. I usually buy in to a limit game for 20 BB, so that would mean that you would need 200 BBs. So long as you have the discipline to drop down, this seems like enough to me.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Mason Malmuth suggested on page 64 of Poker Essays that if you are an ok player playing low LIMIT o/8 that you need 100x the big bet. However, if you are talking about internet play, then I can assure you, you need a bigger bankroll then that if you are a marginal winner. The reason is because a typical low limit game on the internet will be raised preflop approximately half the time and only 2-4 players on average will go to showdown. Just 4 years ago, in a typical California brick and mortar game, you might be able to expect 6,7, or 8 people to constantly see a showdown with very much passive play from pillar to post. This is not the case even with low limit games today on the internet. I’d say that now days you had better be a bit better than a marginally winning player in order to figure out bankroll requirements. Otherwise, the games are so aggressive (not just preflop, but on every street), that bankroll requirements can go through the roof.

I’ll say that for limit o/8 on the internet, if you are a somewhat small but consistently winning player, then you need 300 times the big bet plus a good percentage of rake back to be an adequate bankroll.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Brian Townsend said that you should have 20 buyins for any nl or pl game that you play, and 10 buyins for any limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is considered a buy-in in limit?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 AM

thank you for the replies
Old 09-30-2007, 03:25 PM

I think that he meant 20 BBs as a buyin for a limit game. If you think that you need 25 or 30 (or more), then adjust your math accordingly.

I've been using this principle successfully. (So far.)

And so far as I know, Brian isn't a shortstacking ratholer, so when he says 20 buyins in NL I think he means 20x the max buyin, or 20x what you budget to buy in.

I agree that you would need a bigger roll online. The games just play bigger and tougher, and there's more risk of ruin.