Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Time for my KITN at the Venetian - and a good lesson

Had a great time last week at the ventian playing a little 4-8 limit and a hair of 1-2nl. I even had the great opportunity to play a few hands with Al capone Jr, which was entertaining of course!

So on one late night, I was dealt K9 and ended up in a pot to the river with two other players. Board was K,Q,10,2,river Jack... I am on the button. Player to my left leads the river bet for 8. I look up and see my opponent all the way across the table put 8 chips in front of him and stop. I then say "call" and begin stacking my eight chips out (fairly certain that I'm beat - but might as well pay it off). The player to my left then announces, much to my suprise "re raise" and stacks out a total of 24 followed by an immidiate "reraise" from my opponent across the table to 32 (who still only had eight chips out in front of him). I have that bewildered look and say to the table I was just calling the eight in front of my cross table opponent. Everyone down at that end of the table said they heard him orginally say "raise" and the dealer confirms this, that she is "pretty sure" she heard him same raise. The player to my left, understanding exactly what just happened and what hand I must have, goes on a tirad of "verbal bets are binding and you said Call". I then very politely and without saying a word, pull back my eight chips and muck my cards - much to the uproar that now ensues (lol). I know the floor will now be comming!

I of course do not get a chance to plead my case at all and the dealer explains the action to the floor who commits me to the 16, digs my cards out of the muck and gives them back to me ????? I think for about two seconds and then muck...

Player to my left now says "I guess now that your out there is no need to reraise" and simply calls and they split the pot with the Ace.

The point of this, is that I guess I should have never said "call" and just stacked out eight chips to match my cross table opponent and my "verbal binding" call would not have occured...

A good lesson ;}
Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Time for my KITN at the Venetian - and a good lesson

Man, I don't know what to say. Did you apologize to the table?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point of this, is that I guess I should have never said "call" and just stacked out eight chips to match my cross table opponent and my "verbal binding" call would not have occured...

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wait until you are sure that the action is to you and you'll be fine.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:21 PM

If you had spoke up the moment it became clear that the betting was still open, you might have had a better chance. It looks suspicious if you objected after the raises came after you.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 AM

Glad I could be of entertainment value. Since you took care of your own KITN, there's not much left for me to do here. So ...

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Al
Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had spoke up the moment it became clear that the betting was still open, you might have had a better chance. It looks suspicious if you objected after the raises came after you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that he didn't know that until the rasise after him came.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 AM

I was under the impression that no action is binding if the player clearly misunderstands the size of the bet he is facing.

If he is committed to anything, it should be the 8 chips he believed he was calling.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that no action is binding if the player clearly misunderstands the size of the bet he is facing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the issue here is that, while OP contends that he misunderstood the size of the bet he faced (and I have no reason to disbelieve him), it wasn't clear to other observers at the table that OP had misunderstood it. This is because (1) several players heard the actor before OP say "raise," so it wasn't clear to them why OP would not have known about the raise, and (2) OP did not object until the other players had re-raised and re-re-raised after his call.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 AM

Perhaps it SHOULD be the rule that if a player clearly misunderstands the size of a bet, that his action is not binding. Often times a reasonable dealer or floor will do things this way, but this is by no means standard practice. In reality you may have misunderstood for very legitimate reasons, but still be forced to call in a far from reasonable manner. It's very much dependent on the house rules, and more often who is running/supervising the game (and how reasonable they are). In today's poker world that may be very far from reasonable, so always clarify, ALWAYS.

Al
Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the issue here is that, while OP contends that he misunderstood the size of the bet he faced (and I have no reason to disbelieve him), it wasn't clear to other observers at the table that OP had misunderstood it.

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a bet of 8 chips, a raise to 16 chips, and he said call and put out 8 chips

it seems pretty clear that he believed he was calling 8 chips