Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Playing High Hands

What high hands do you habitually play? Do you mind playing them OOP because you often have a flop decision of whether or not you're going to the river.

Let's say you're in EP with AAKKss, you raise, call? PLO8, LO8?

What about AQQJ suited ace?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Playing High Hands

short hand I will usually play any 4 broadway cards for 1 bet, the big strong hands I want to see a flop with usually before I put in a lot of bets, so I'm not raising a lot. sometimes I do raise big card hands for the sake of mixing up my play. any double suited hand thats all broadway I will usually raise in short handed from most positions. it also depends on my opponents. if I'm at a table of folks who mostly likely lo cards and wheel cards, i'll play a lot more hi-card hands, and vice versa.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 AM

I usually play 4 high cards in PLO8 because if I don't, my VPIP would drop to 14% or something, lol.

I also like to raise with hands like AQQJ ace suited (regardless of position) to keep them guessing and spice up my game.

Just remember the hand starts after the flop. If there is a low draw present, your hand is pretty much worthless.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:06 AM

I play a lot of high hands, but I'm pretty loose ($VPIP 31). Any four cards 9 and up if there's a suited ace, any four card wrap (9TJQ, TJQK, AKQJ) even if unsuited, any three card series with a pair higher than 99 (so TTJQ for example). And from late position I'll play three broadway cards suited to the ace with a bad dangler (6-8).
I don't actually vary my starting hand requirements that much from ten players to five. Need to get down to four players before I really start adding hands to my opening range.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM

I think PLO8 (at least in the games I play in) allows you to raise much more with the big cards than in LO8...I usually will limp from EP with the broadways, maybe 25/75 raise/call in MP, and proabably 50/50 raise in LP...I think in PLO8 you have to raise in LP with these hands to mix up your play...Gives you 2 ways to win the pot, hit your hand (and possibly get paid off big if people think you are full of [censored] when big/mid cards come on the flop) or continuation bet on an all low flop and get people to fold...At least in the games I play in, it seems to work pretty damn well for me...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 PM

If your'e able to play very well postflop, this is the more profitable (and fun) way to play pre-flop.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in PLO8 you have to raise in LP with these hands to mix up your play... or continuation bet on an all low flop and get people to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I like hands like ABBL suited to the ace, because you have something to play with when you get callers after your c-bet doesnt work.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM

those are way fun to play because there really isn't a flop that can't help you out...i think its just understanding when and when not to play big pots with all broadway...

i actually played a hand (6-max) with all broadway cards that i wont a $380 with...granted if i posted the hand history i would probably be called a donkey, but i raised on the button with something like AQQK and the flop came JT2, rainbow...i bet with my pair and huge wrap and was raised pot...i don't know why, but i had a "moment of clarity" and put my opponent on JTxx...turn came a 2, which would counterfeit the JT and I called a $120 bet (my opponent all-in) going with my read and i happened to be right, my opponent showed JTxx, berated me for making that call and i gladly dragged an almost $400 pot...

i don't recommend this play and this probably wasn't the best example of a way to play this type of hand, but this is a flop that i would like to play a "biggish" pot with because i have decent equity in the hand even if my opponent has a set...

if the flop had come low-low-low i woulda fired out on the flop and if i was called i'd be done with it...these broadway hands tend to really play themselves, its hard as hell to get trapped for big pots with them because you either have a piece or don't...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:32 AM

Funny, but I have won some of my biggest pots in L08 with high only hands going against low chasers who never got there and some fools chasing the bottom end of a str8. Ususally like to play em in LP