Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM

Default NLHTAP Preflop strategy for NL50

I was wondering about the Preflop Strategy guidelines in NHLTAP. When playing for example NL50 with full buy-in are this the kind of starting hands you should be playing? Is it +EV to limp that much from EP with AXs and SC?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: NLHTAP Preflop strategy for NL50

are you asking for Full Ring or for short handed?

I play 5-max/6-max and once in a great while I"ll limp early with a SC or Axs, but most of the time I just open raise them if I am going to play them at all.

I hate limping and then having someone else raise because then you have to fold that garbage. You are out of position and most likely there aren't enough people in to make it worth while
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM

I tend to avoid those hands from EP in full ring.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 AM

I am talking about full ring. But what about the starting hands in general? Are they good for NL50?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am talking about full ring. But what about the starting hands in general? Are they good for NL50?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tight up front and loosening up towards the back. I have no more specifics than that. My game is at the point where I play alot by feel now, adjusting everything from starting hands to post flop play based on the conditions at the table.

General suggestions though...
You can play small/medium pocket pairs from any position. Usually looking to flop a set in a raised pot when the implied odds justify playing.
Playing drawing hands OOP in NL is tough and usually expensive so I tend to avoid those suited aces and suited connectors in EP, but I am more than happy to play them in LP.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering about the Preflop Strategy guidelines in NHLTAP. When playing for example NL50 with full buy-in are this the kind of starting hands you should be playing? Is it +EV to limp that much from EP with AXs and SC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find those hands are not profitable limping first in online in full ring. They are difficult to play out of position, especially online where you don't have any physical reads.

Consider limping (or occasionally raising) with them after another player has limped.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:09 AM

I have played Limit för about a year and a half and have just started playing NL. Hands like AJs, KJs, KQs, AQo, KQo that are pretty profitable in limit, I have no clue about how to play in NL. How should they be played?(when to call a raise? when to raise? and so on) And what about the small offsuit broadways. Should they be played or are they always just trobule hands?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have played Limit för about a year and a half and have just started playing NL. Hands like AJs, KJs, KQs, AQo, KQo that are pretty profitable in limit, I have no clue about how to play in NL. How should they be played?(when to call a raise? when to raise? and so on) And what about the small offsuit broadways. Should they be played or are they always just trobule hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing to remember with those hands is that they usually make TPTK, TPGK hands. In limit that is good for a decent pot when you win, but if not good you don't lose much. In NL, they usually win a small pot but can lose a big one and you would prefer that to be reversed of course. One of the best lines in NLHTAP is I think the discussion of winning the battle of mistakes - don't make big mistakes and you will win. Those hands potentially can make big mistakes.

all IMO for full ring....
Calling raises with any of those hands is likely trouble. You very easily could be dominated. Making raises with those hands is OK from LP 1st in or versus 1-2 limpers. I likely raise AQ from any position though and likely call a raise in LP, but I'll still be nervous about being up against AK if my raise is called. Small offsuit broadways are usually just trouble, but if you can limp along in LP and flop a nice draw they might be worth a shot.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM

i dont like NLHTAP's starting hand stuff. ignore it and take the advice from these forums
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing to remember with those hands is that they usually make TPTK, TPGK hands. In limit that is good for a decent pot when you win, but if not good you don't lose much. In NL, they usually win a small pot but can lose a big one and you would prefer that to be reversed of course. One of the best lines in NLHTAP is I think the discussion of winning the battle of mistakes - don't make big mistakes and you will win. Those hands potentially can make big mistakes.

all IMO for full ring....
Calling raises with any of those hands is likely trouble. You very easily could be dominated. Making raises with those hands is OK from LP 1st in or versus 1-2 limpers. I likely raise AQ from any position though and likely call a raise in LP, but I'll still be nervous about being up against AK if my raise is called. Small offsuit broadways are usually just trouble, but if you can limp along in LP and flop a nice draw they might be worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This describes my preferences perfectly.

Now, if only I could avoid falling in love w/TPTK post flop...