Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Very inexperienced player with hand question

Very new to the game, first post on the boards. Im not sure how to convert this hand like your supposed to so bare with me.

Basically it sits that Im small blind, 5 handed and the stakes are 5/10. I get dealt 6c 2h but everyone calls for a family pot, so I check.

Pot is 50 flop comes 10s 6s 2c

Small Blind checks, and I lead out for 40 to try and isolate a top pair and hopefully chase out a draw. Player 3 folds, player 4 calls, player 5 folds and Small blind folds.

So the pot is 130 and the turn makes the board 10s 6s 2c Jd

Now from what Ive learned so far I know looking at this board I most likely have the best hand. A call on the flop was most likely a top pair, or a flush draw. Overpair he wouldve reraised probably, two pair as well...set is unlikely due to no raises preflop. So I feel strong that my bottom 2 pair is the best hand.

However I realize that if he had top pair on flop another 10 or now a Jack gives him the best hand, or if he had a flush draw he still has 9 outs and now theres a possible straight draw. So those 3 hands Im going to try and defend against with my next bet. What should I bet though?

Learning about pot odds, if he has 9 outs for the flush I need to make the odds worse than 4-1 to make the pot odds in my favor if he calls, correct? So I bet 150 to make the pot 280 and giving im less than 2 to 1 odds when at best he can only be sitting at 4-1.

He calls and the river comes a 10. A nightmare card. I bet out 150 and he just calls and shows J 9...so beat me with a higher two pair Jacks and the community 10's.

Where did I go wrong in my thought process where I lost this hand? What should I have done on the flop and turn?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Very inexperienced player with hand question

I guess you were playing live and not online. But if you were playing online, you can use anyone of the hand converters posted in the FAQ in this section. It makes looking at the hand a lot easier.

Also, it would be instructive to post any reads on your opponents. It adds to the analysis.

The other thing that's hard to analyze is you forgot to put the suits of villan's hand. I belief you were big blind and not small blind as you indicated.

At any rate, I don't see anything wrong with your bets. I think villan was just lucky as he should have folded after the flop. Unless villan had Js9s he had no business to stick around. And even then he had no business to stick around after your sizable bet. So chalk one up to bad play that got lucky.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 AM

Because you posted the result its difficult for people to give an honest answer to your question.
If your post ends here.....

[ QUOTE ]
the river comes a 10. A nightmare card.

[/ QUOTE ]
...for example, and you ask whats my play now? or hows my line to here?.....you`ll get a much better response.

Although, i would suggest making a note that this guy will call a value bet on the river as thats what your 150 looks like
Old 08-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Fold preflop.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He calls and the river comes a 10. A nightmare card. I bet out 150...

[/ QUOTE ]
First, you should avoid showing the results initially, or you will tend to get advice which is biased toward the results.

Second, I don't see the point of the river bet. A busted draw will not call. You have turned your hand into a bluff, which wastes the showdown value you have against busted draws.

I think you will do better on the river by checking, and being willing to call a tiny bet, but nothing substantial.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM

You played the flop and turn just fine, and he got lucky on the river. You should realize that your 2 is now worthless with the pair on the board, and probably just check the river. With a jack and bad kicker, he would also check and save you 150 chips.

Then again, it really depends on the opponent and the situation, you never can be sure what they'll do. Checking the river is usually best though. (I think. Maybe.)
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Fold pre-flop... but as played, I think your bets are fine on the flop and turn. However, check/fold the river.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for participating. he was in the big blind
in an unraised pot.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM

You played everything fine IMO (besides bet sizes) until the river IMO.

On the flop $40 is fine...I probably woulda bet about $35 but that's quibbling.

On the turn you don't need to overbet it like that. Like $90 will do. Of course though if he'll call a larger bet with just a one pair hand/flush draw then go ahead and bet bigger.

On the river is where you made your biggest mistake....check fold here. Your hand got counterfeighted. You now hold 2 pair - T's and 6's and everybody has T's. The only thing you're beating now is a busted flush draw and that's not gonna call your bet. You should check and then fold unless he makes just a ridiculously ridiculously ridiculously small bet then maybe call.... So check/fold river.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM

From the description of the flop play, it appears OP was actually BB, not SB. If he was SB, then I'd agree fold is order