Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Just remembered this one pf-river up for discussion

Midterm tomorrow so obviously my mind is on anything but all the studying I need to do. This hand is from a fairly new 20/40 game, this is probably the 5th or 6th orbit. Never played with villain before but he has been folding a lot until his button which he has raised every time which is getting really annoying because I keep defending with good hands and he outflops me and I have to fold at some point. He is pretty old (like late 40s I would guess) so I cannot possibly give him credit for being a good player. This probably means he is either just mindlessly raising on the button because all the young kids do it or he keeps picking up a reasonable starting hand on the button.

Villain opens the button. I defend A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I am about to c/r but then decide to call.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I donk because I figure I'll get a pretty honest response from an old geezer in this spot. He calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, he bets pretty smoothly, I fold.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Just remembered this one pf-river up for discussion

HOWMANY --

Good. You might try turning your hand into a bluff and raising, but I don't think he'll fold enough. I'd usually checkraise the flop but calling isn't bad. Check/calling and then checking, though, would be bad (I think). So good turn bet.

--Nate
Old 04-30-2007, 11:48 PM

Pretty read dependant, but good. I can't see what you beat on the river.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 AM

what do people think about the same action but the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 AM

jba, good question to pose; makes it more interesting, since it's a button raiser. I think I lean towards calling there, given pot odds, since you can beat busted diamonds along with 9T and AQ. Wouldn't argue with a fold, though. I think given reads, you should call--villain seems likely to think he can bludgeon you to death here...
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd usually checkraise the flop but calling isn't bad.

[/ QUOTE ] I think calling is absolutely terrible here. You want to check-raise for 2 reasons:
1) He likely has anything and you are likely giving him a free card by calling. Make him pay.
2) You take control of the hand and it gives you a better chance to take the pot on the turn. I think I lead betting about any turn

Also, if villian is attempting to steal all the time then I am definitely 3 betting this preflop.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 AM

I really think you should c/r the flop cuz there are tons of A-hi hands that will call down ui here.

As played I like the turn but I'm not so sure about the river fold cuz missed diamonds play like this a lot.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is pretty old (like late 40s I would guess) so I cannot possibly give him credit for being a good player. This probably means he is either just mindlessly raising on the button because all the young kids do it or he keeps picking up a reasonable starting hand on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is hilarious on so many levels.