Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 04:26 AM

Default AQo UTG

Hello, I was in a loose 6/12 live game and I was "running bad". I picked up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG and almost mucked it. The table was too loose to raise it so I limped - bad juju there. About 6 to the flop.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 players, 5 sb)

BB bet and I raised, 3 callers, BB 3-bet and I capped it, that folded a few players.

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players, big pot)

BB bets, I call, player calls.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players, bigger pot)

BB bets and I call player folds.

How was this line?

Reads: the player on my right (BB) is a very good player in my opinion. We either had the same hand or I lost. There was no real way that I was ahead with only TPTK.

I think that I should have folded UI on the river. He might have led and 3-bet with a flush draw on the flop but not led the turn with a flush draw. He also knew that I almost mucked my hand PF which gave away that I did not have AA-QQ (effect of running bad, need to watch that). That left A-Q, K-Q or possibly 8-8 which I would have raised him with on the Turn. He is a thinking player. He knows that I would not play Q-8 UTG.

Later I had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG and flopped a Q he folded K-Q on the turn when a Ace hit. Another player called me down with K-Q.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: AQo UTG

Part of coping with running bad is not changing the way you play. Don't do that.

You need to raise this preflop. The entire hand plays differently after that.

As played I probably would have folded the turn. You've got, what, two guys behind you that put in four bets on the flop and the flop bet/threebet your facer is not slowing down. You're never any good here and you have no outs to beat a flush.

Flame away.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of coping with running bad is not changing the way you play. Don't do that.

As played I probably would have folded the turn. You've got, what, two guys behind you that put in four bets on the flop and the flop bet/threebet your facer is not slowing down. You're never any good here and you have no outs to beat a flush.

Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

I have to agree with that - But in loose games sometimes limping UTG with AQo (since offsuit does not play well in very loose games) is the right play.

However, if I had raised then I would know more about his hand since he called my raise which could have been AA-QQ.

BTW, he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] which he might have folded being that he is a good player.

My bad for limping.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

I have to agree with that - But in loose games sometimes limping UTG with AQo (since offsuit does not play well in very loose games) is the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:25 AM

Always raise EP with AQo ? okay - thanks and I will.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, SS. In these small stakes games they are going to cold call you with way worse hands so often you always have equity.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 AM

Sounds good, as I said I usually raise first in with a hand that I am going to play - I limped here because I was running bad and that just made it worse. I have seen these players play any ace.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 AM

limping isn't that bad, but i'd never do it. even if one or two people fold you fare better. it's not like you're not going to make money off a bunch of bad coldcalls anyway. might as well a)make extra money and b)try to limit the field a bit. and of course c)define yours and other's hands for them.

underplaying your hand is a less-often discussed concept. basically, when you don't define how strong your holding is by raising you are often comitting yourself to showdown against alot of players. they don't put you on a premium hand so they get out of line more often(less respect) and actually put you to the test of a tough calldown more often. if you raise, this slows them down postflop when a paintcard comes. if it doesn't slow them down after you've shown so much strength, with a proper read you can more consistently find a good laydown.

i'm not saying it applies to your situation here, but it might have.

of course against some very aggressive/good opponents you underplay pf on purpose to extract more value postflop(through deception). you still get put to the test, but you simply resign yourself to showing down.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limping isn't that bad, but i'd never do it. even if one or two people fold you fare better. it's not like you're not going to make money off a bunch of bad coldcalls anyway. might as well a)make extra money and b)try to limit the field a bit. and of course c)define yours and other's hands for them.

underplaying your hand is a less-often discussed concept. basically, when you don't define how strong your holding is by raising you are often comitting yourself to showdown against alot of players. they don't put you on a premium hand so they get out of line more often(less respect) and actually put you to the test of a tough calldown more often. if you raise, this slows them down postflop when a paintcard comes. if it doesn't slow them down after you've shown so much strength, with a proper read you can more consistently find a good laydown.

i'm not saying it applies to your situation here, but it might have.

of course against some very aggressive/good opponents you underplay pf on purpose to extract more value postflop(through deception). you still get put to the test, but you simply resign yourself to showing down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks James, I am aware that by not raising they do not know where I am on the hand so I will have to call the river more often. Sometimes players do this with AK and over call with AA for this reason. I once overcalled a raise with AA becuse if I 3-bet that tells them that I have AA and it will be checked to me on the flop. Few players and the AA EP will limp and try to trap players. Sometimes works against me. I have AK and the flop is K he limped with AA.