Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM

Default Flop 2 pair in SB, bet out?

Flopped 2 pair, and found myself not liking the idea of check-raising to blow out the field on a pretty safe flop, but not liking the idea of giving good odds to any straight draws. I've recently improved my game by check-raising a late position bettor with weaker holdings, i.e Q+bad kicker, but here I would be better off to bet-out hoping to get raised and 3-bet right?

Considering that I didn't bet out, raise or call here? Villian is 16/10/2

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Flop 2 pair in SB, bet out?

Calling here is the equivalent of slowplaying, which you shouldn't do with a top 2 pair that allows for straight draws. I bet out here and then c/r the turn if I get a lot of callers. Another choice is to check this and then raise a bet from early position but I don't like the c/c unless you have a set of Qs and don't want to knock people out, and even then its dangerous because another high card could make a straight and beat you. The way it played out, I think you probably should raise, but since there are only a few players, you might be able to get away with a call. Easier if you bet out.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:25 AM

I think leading with the intention of 3 betting and just calling with the intention of raising the turn are both good lines here.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 PM

I really like lead-3betting this flop if given the chance. You're equity is just too big.

Now that you are in this situation, I think you need to raise here. Don't slowplay. If you do just call, you have to lead the turn anyway, since you can't afford to have it checked around and give out a free card to some crazy 98o or K6s that sticks around on the flop.

Put in the raise now - protect your hand from what you can, and get value from those who want to come along anyway.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:18 PM

The pot is small enough and there are few enough players that you do not need to worry about OESDs, since only 9T and KT provide that. You want gutshots and overs to call, even AK. Checkraising this flop would be great if you trap players, but since the bet came late, overcall, then lead the turn, to trap opponents on that street.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 PM

yeah, you lost some value here.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM

As some of you might remember, I am very strongly in support of simply betting this flop.

You have a monster. Betting assures action, doesn't shot out players on either the flop or the turn, and opens up the flop for getting in a possible three-bet (or turn trap). It's sweet like bear meat.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 PM

Does anyone bet this out and try a c/r on turn contingent on number of callers? With no UTG raise, I am not too scared of very many turn cards (if a gut shot hits, so be it). Someone with a smaller Q or two pair on the turn might help you build a big pot. Just curious.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:42 PM

I would go for the bet/3bet. You don't know where and IF a bet will be made on the flop since there wasn't a raise PF.

I don't mind mixing it up and slowplaying this once in a while, but I would bet/3bet the flop about 85% of the time.

Haupt_234
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM

I bet and continue betting until someone makes me stop.

There is no reason to C/R this hand, since you don't know where a bet is coming from, if it is coming at all. The last thing you want to have happen is to see this checked through.