Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM

Default 3-betting Ranges

How wide of a range do you usually keep for 3-betting against players?

The 3-bet is typically my "AK, AQ, AJs, KK only" hand.

But this is really dependent on if they're loose, tight, etc. and I haven't been able to adjust well or widen my range with deeper stacks.

Any advice would rule :P
Old 07-13-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: 3-betting Ranges

I three bet QQ-AA,AK. It is way too tight and way too exploitable IMO. But most of my opponents don't know what is going on anyway.

I also 3-bet TT sometimes and JJ about 50% of the time (just rough guesses).

Of course I adjust this range down to include AQ and AJ if a villain is pretty laggy (3-bet to isolate).

In terms of playing against 3-bets. I pretty much want to vomit every time I get 3-bet when I have AQ.

Edit: I'll also throw in a very very rare 3-bet bluff. Only for special opponents obviously and it is usually more of a re-steal that is less than a shove because we are deep.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 AM

So I'm not nuts.

What about loosening the range in the blinds to (obvious) steals?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm not nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely opponent specific. Personally, if I believe a player is raising super-light to steal the blinds, I will re-steal with 100% of hands. I'm also loosening up calling requirements if both villain and I are deep stacked. Calling preflop with a wider range and then betting on the flop picks up a decent number of pots, as most low limit opponents give up on their steals when faced with aggression.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 AM

I 3-bet quite wide. Like 99+, AJs+, AQo+. This is if I'm going to have position post flop. I'll 3bet wider if it's BB vs Button but tighter if I'm SB or BB against An EP or MP raise.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm not nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I defend my blinds liberally. I don't always 3-bet, sometimes I just flat, and see a flop and decide on an attack then. well, not decide, but implement. Well, anyway.

And those two ranges are basically the same.

In the right situations, it's pretty wide. Suited trash, pairs, connectors of all kinds.

As stacks get shorter, it narrows to a std range, barring random impluses.

it was sooted, hubcap boy.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM

i like 3 betting w big cards more than made hands. w made hands 88-qq ill often call in position and not allowing my opponent to see all 5 cards w overs and to give myself an exit plan if flop comes A k 3 and i have 10's ill fold
Old 07-13-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm not nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I defend my blinds liberally. I don't always 3-bet, sometimes I just flat, and see a flop and decide on an attack then. well, not decide, but implement. Well, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

My typical blind defense (especially in micros) is this stop and go play.

No one folds pre-flop unless they have absolutely nothing (in micros), but they'll fold middle pair on the flop if an ace flops and they don't have it.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one folds pre-flop unless they have absolutely nothing (in micros), but they'll fold middle pair on the flop if an ace flops and they don't have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in later stages of the tournament. With blinds at 1k/2k and a 65k stack who has been stealing blinds raises to 6k on the button and you have J4o in the BB with 40k, pushing folds a LOT of hands...

I do NOT recommend restealing in the early stages of a tournament with trash, you will get called with anything there. When the big money gets closer, people will shut down and only continue with a smaller range of hands.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in later stages of the tournament. With blinds at 1k/2k and a 65k stack who has been stealing blinds raises to 6k on the button and you have J4o in the BB with 40k, pushing folds a LOT of hands...

I do NOT recommend restealing in the early stages of a tournament with trash, you will get called with anything there. When the big money gets closer, people will shut down and only continue with a smaller range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know the resteal well. I'm accountably successful at it, and faking it (jamming for value rather than jamming to steal, knowing the player is a tightish stealer in LP and will call expecting a resteal because I have before).

Just making the comment that 3-betting AJ is not going to make him go away, but if the flop doesn't have an Ace or a Jack, you can pretty much bet out and they'll fold unless they catch a draw. This works way more that it should in micros, particularly. Enough to make a stop and go stronger than resteals from the blinds :P.