Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Newb Question

i just picked up golf this summer. question about hitting a ball in the fairway and creating divots. do you always need to cause a divot? is a divot the result of the club digging into the fairway? is the divot an outcome of a mishit ball?
just general infor on divots would be helpful.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Newb Question

Good divot is one you take after you have hit the ball - you strike the ball, then take a little turf.

Bad divot is one you take before you hit the ball, AKA hitting the ball fat.

You can hit pretty good shots without a divot, but if start hitting the ball pure, you will probably start taking some good divots.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM

My opinion on divots, given your newbyness to golf, is to not focus on them at all. Focus more on consistent ball-striking, then when you are comfortable with your iron swing, go get 1 or 2 one hour one-on-one lessons with a pro and then get advice on how to work towards taking consistent divots. Two years ago I lowered my handicap from 36 to 19 in one summer, and it's been between 17 and 22 since then due to lack of regular play (i.e. fewer than 20 rounds/yr), and I have not been able to take consistent divots at all. I have reached the point where I can take them with my best shots, and when I don't I often blade the ball (hit it thin). Just as often as it is a proper divot it is a beaver tail (i.e. I hit it fat) just like the previous poster said. Divots are sexy, but check out Tom Watson's swing and see how few divots he takes. More than one way to skin that cat. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Good players take a divot on every single shot...but the divot is AFTER hitting the ball - VERY VERY important. Taking a divot means that you're coming down on the ball which produces the most consistent shots (due to increased backspin).

However, for noobs, learning to swing consistently each time...

FWIW, you are supposed to take divots even with 2 irons...but you shouldn't even really be carrying a 2-4iron.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but you shouldn't even really be carrying a 2-4iron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just started to get really really into golf after being a casual on and off golfer for years and recently heard this....

...when did this come about...ive always carried a 3 and 4 iron, and when I ask my instructor about buyin a set he mentioned most dont have 3s anymore because of hybrids..when did this happen and why??

yes im an idiot golf newb
Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 PM

It "came about" many years ago...why? Because they are incredible difficult clubs to hit well. So difficult, that noobs are often better off trying to hit two 8 irons, than a 3 iron. Hybrids are easier to hit, but even then, until you can break 110 on a good course, even they are not really necessary. It takes a LOT of skill to hit long irons consistently...so much, in fact, that Dave Pelz did a study with some TOUR PROS that they would only do .25 strokes worse by hitting a 6iron (IIRC) every time they would use a 2iron...then they would have to use their short game to get up and down. What he found was that their short games were so good from 40-60 yards in the fairway, compared to the likely bunker or bad rough their 2 irons would find on wayward shots...

So, unless you are quite good, a 2-4 iron will only hurt, never help your game.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It "came about" many years ago...why? Because they are incredible difficult clubs to hit well. So difficult, that noobs are often better off trying to hit two 8 irons, than a 3 iron. Hybrids are easier to hit, but even then, until you can break 110 on a good course, even they are not really necessary. It takes a LOT of skill to hit long irons consistently...so much, in fact, that Dave Pelz did a study with some TOUR PROS that they would only do .25 strokes worse by hitting a 6iron (IIRC) every time they would use a 2iron...then they would have to use their short game to get up and down. What he found was that their short games were so good from 40-60 yards in the fairway, compared to the likely bunker or bad rough their 2 irons would find on wayward shots...

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically I shoot 105-110 on decent courses...and should switch to a hybrid???...

...and lately I have been hittin more 5s because I just plain hit it better more consistently so it makes sense..

You may have just saved me some strokes my friend
Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but you shouldn't even really be carrying a 2-4iron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just started to get really really into golf after being a casual on and off golfer for years and recently heard this....

...when did this come about...ive always carried a 3 and 4 iron, and when I ask my instructor about buyin a set he mentioned most dont have 3s anymore because of hybrids..when did this happen and why??

yes im an idiot golf newb

[/ QUOTE ]
I think most sets still have 3 irons.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically I shoot 105-110 on decent courses...and should switch to a hybrid???...

...and lately I have been hittin more 5s because I just plain hit it better more consistently so it makes sense..

You may have just saved me some strokes my friend

[/ QUOTE ]
It really depends on the player. A lot of people think fairway woods/hybrids are much easier to hit than long irons and I have no idea how they can feel that way. I hit my 2 iron much better than the equivalent woods or hybrids, so for me it doesn't make any sense to switch. Obviously what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for everyone though. The only universal truth here should be that you shouldn't be carrying clubs you don't feel comfortable hitting.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 AM

Hybrids are almost without question easier to hit...even for the pros. I tried some out at the range for the very first time yesterday...I'll be buying a 2 hybrid to replace (and gain 10yds) my 2iron.