Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 AM

Default What\'s my next move here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Hero ($198.65)
CO ($120.17)
Button ($292.37)
SB ($125)
BB ($148.52)
UTG ($112)
UTG+1 ($167.15)
MP1 ($172)
MP2 ($269.56)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4, 4. SB posts a blind of $1.
4 folds</font>, Hero raises to $7</font>, 1 fold</font>, Button calls $7, 2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($17) J, 6, T (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7.

Turn: ($31) 4 (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

River: ($47) T (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button bets $15</font>.

Fold, call or raise and if so, how much?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: What\'s my next move here?

wow, misplayed on every street except preflop. try using the bet button
Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 AM

yeah, check-calling the flop here is horrible. Bet/fold it, bet the turn, and then bet the river. yes you should raise, because theres no way in hell he can put you on a full house as you played it, i would raise anywhere from 60-100 whichever bet you think he would be most likely to call.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:08 AM

Yep. Bet the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:21 AM

Down to 25NL
Old 06-01-2006, 05:06 AM

NO WAY you fold there. You pop that UP. Bet it to 60. Prolly get his AJ to call there. Oh yeah and fold that flop. GEEZ.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:28 AM

I try to mix up my play a bit. I don't do continuation bets all the time, and I do about equal amounts of check calling and check raising with weak and strong hands alike. Trying to be hard to read. Folding the flop here would have been correct in _this particular hand_, but if you always play your hand to maximize that hand, you get less action and make less money in the long run.

Or at least, that's the idea.

Villain is fairly aggressive - he will bet anything, from flush draws to over cards, if he thinks you're weak. He always calls the first flop bet to see how you react on the turn. He also bets fairly small when he's weak, 1/3 to 1/5 the pot.

So to me, his flop didn't mean he had a hand. The plan was to check raise on the turn on a bluff as I had seen him lay down hands to that earlier.

When I hit my set with the flush card though, it was another matter. It's not a hand I lay down, he's giving me 5 to 1, and I have 10 outs to a boat or better. Even if I'm behind, I have odds to chase. Why bet and risk being blown away by a raise? Better keep the pot small. Flawed reasoning maybe, but that was my thinking.

On the river I hit the boat. His bet suggests to me he has a real hand.

I don't see check calling the river here. I'm basically just worried about JJ or 66. He might call with JT, but i'ts unlikely to be played this way, I don't see him betting the turn with that. A flush? That makes sense: A semi-bluff on the flop that he can get away from if he's reraised, he hit's the flush on turn and makes a very small bet that will be called by top pairs and two pairs, and bets a little bit more on the river, milking me.

I moved all in - and he showed me two sixes for a bigger boat. He had floped a set. Why all in? It's a huge over bet, and sometimes players think you're bluffing with that. I thought a flush would call basically. Anything else would fold just as much to a smaller reraise. Also, I knew I'd never fold to a reraise. Which in retrospect would surely have come.

If I had bet the flop, he might have raised me, and I might have gotten away from it with a big enough raise. But as I said, he calls 9 out of 10 hands on the flop and will test you on the turn, and he will bet 9 out of 10 hands that are checked to him.

I think it's just one of those hands you're destined to lose.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM

At this level, you SHOULD be doing c-bets nearly all the time. So much profit at 200nl comes from raising preflop, having a donk call you, and firing 2 barrels to fold out his gutshot.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see check calling the river here. I'm basically just worried about JJ or 66. He might call with JT, but i'ts unlikely to be played this way, I don't see him betting the turn with that. A flush? That makes sense: A semi-bluff on the flop that he can get away from if he's reraised, he hit's the flush on turn and makes a very small bet that will be called by top pairs and two pairs, and bets a little bit more on the river, milking me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At this level, you SHOULD be doing c-bets nearly all the time. So much profit at 200nl comes from raising preflop, having a donk call you, and firing 2 barrels to fold out his gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I would usually do. The other day, I made 250 in 20 minutes without a single showdown. It was amazing.

However as I explained, this guy regularly called all 1/2 pot continuation bets, and I didn't want to make a pot sized bet with just an underpair. That's probably what cost me the whole stack here though.