Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Cell Phone Insurance Question / Strategy

Couldn't find this on search going back a year.

Over the weekend I effed up my cell phone's screen. I have a Nokia 6102i, decent phone. Well, except now the screen is whack because I inadvertently mashed it between two things (a golf ball in my pocket and something else evidently...I think it was the pop-a-shot console at a sports bar, some bitch said he could beat me so I had to throw a few bucks in there to prove him wrong). Bad news, it's functional but bone ugly and unacceptable long-term. I'd take a picture of it to show you but the complication of setting up a series of mirrors to get a picture of my cell phone FROM my cell phone is too much to bear.

Anyway, it's insured. Previously I'd had two insured cell phones replaced - one dropped from three stories and fried the screen, the other had some liquid spilled on it and fried the screen. The insurance people grilled me to make sure I didn't do stuff like drop it from three stories or spill liquid on it but eventually relented and sent me new phones.

This one though is kinda obviously my bad. Has anyone dealt with insurance on this (AT&T/Cingular is my carrier, beat) with a busto screen and did you get your phone back? I also have to go to a Cingular store later today to buy a new charger - left mine in a hotel room...as much as this may imply that I was a shitfaced mess during all of this, I really wasn't, just consecutively stupid. So I'll be at store level and was debating just signing a longer contract to get a newer phone.

I'll Google this too but I'm also interested in specific community experiences, since the average reader of this forum seems to burn through about a phone a month. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Cell Phone Insurance Question / Strategy

how is this one obviously your fault but the others weren't?

beat: i just did the same thing to my phone but don't have insurance
double beat: i paid full price for it
Old 06-13-2007, 03:30 PM

If it's insured and you damaged it (which this will fall under) you typically have to pay a $50 or so deductible, then they send you a reconditioned phone of the same model you have. It sucks, but it sucks less than paying retail price. If you're going to stick with your carrier and you've had your phone long enough to qualify for an upgrade then just renew your contract and do that, because that's usually easier and you could get a phone immediately.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:30 PM

NT!,

They're all totally my fault but the first two *could* have been perceived as a phone malfunction (instead my dumb ass dropping it) unless maybe they took the phone apart and researched. Well, those phones weren't nearly as nice as this one and also it's very clearly my fault here but would prefer not to pay for it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM

tuq, according to these terms looks like you should be fine. as long as you didnt intentionally damage it and the damage wasnt the result of civil war or rodents (among other things) looks like youll be fine.

i recommend you read the terms though. i skimmed.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 PM

If it's insured can't you just say it was stolen?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that be fraud?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure the answer is no on this, as that level of liability would fall to the customer.

Bottom line I was hoping for some similar experiences as I've gotta go to the store today regardless and was looking for an angle of attack. Thanks for the responses/help.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 PM

if you're going through insurance, it doesn't matter if you dropped it, smashed it, spilled water on it, etc. 50 dollar deductible, they send you a new one.

if you're attempting to go through warranty, you're out of luck. physical damage isn't covered and you'll see the price of a reconditioned phone on your next bill.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 PM

tug,

I believe most plans cover lost/stolen phones. I've definitely lost phones before (twice) and had them replaced through cell phone insurance. A friend of mine who had a similar concern to you threw his phone in the river.