Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Tentative Italy Vacation Itinerary

I am currently planning to take a trip to Italy some time in September or early October. I figure that 11 nights/12 days works out best for me, and so I've written up a rough itinerary (largely borrowed from various tour books).

Wanted to know what you all think, especially from those living in the area, or those who have vacationed there before. Anything to change... what would you cut out and add more days to? Really have no idea if 2 days in a city is really enough... am I spreading myself a bit thin with the plan below?

Of course, we'll be taking time to do random stuff while there... I'm just listing the major tourist things under each day.

Also, is Verona worth a visit? It is between Venice and Milan, but doesn't quite fit the schedule. Is this a must-see, or an easy one to pass up if it doesn't work out?

Thanks in advance. All suggestions and comments appreciated. The list below is far from set in stone, so I'd love to hear what you think.

-RMJ

Day 1
Arrive in Rome morning/early afternoon.
Micaelangelo's Campidoglio, Imperial Forums, Colosseum.
Stay overnight - Rome.

Day 2
St Peter's Basilica, Vatican Museums, Sistene Chapel
Stay overnight - Rome.

Day 3
Take a morning train to Naples.
Archaeological Museum, Gallery Capodimonte.
Eat pizza.
Stay overnight - Naples.

Day 4
Head to Pompeii.
Check out archaeological gardens.
Take a train to Siena.
Stay overnight - Siena.

Day 5
Piazza del Campo, Museo Civico, Cathedrale di San Martino.
Stay overnight - Siena.

Day 6
Head to Florence.
Uffizi Gallery, Piazza della Signoria, museo Opera del Duomo, Battisticas San Giovanni, Giotto Campanile, Gallery dell' Accademia.
Stay overnight - Florence.

Day 7
Palazzo Pitti, Giardini Boboli, Capelle Medicee, Basilica di San Lorenzo, Palazzo Vecchio.
Stay overnight - Florence.

Day 8
Take a train to Bologna.
Wander around, eat lots of good food.
Stay overnight - Bologna.

Day 9
Train to Venice.
Grand Canal Ride, Piazza San Marco and nearby basilica, Palazzo Ducole and Bridge of Sighs. Climb up Campanile.
Stay overnight - Venice.

Day 10
Check out other major Venice attactions and wander around, relax a bit.
Stay overnight - Venice.

Day 11
Train to Milan.
Let the lady do some shopping. Wander around.
Stay overnight - Milan.

Day 12
Fly Home from Milan.

In Edit:

P.S. Is Sept/Oct a good time to hit a beach? If we wanted to do an afternoon at a beach, where would we want to do that... what would be worth crossing off the list to do a beach thing?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Tentative Italy Vacation Itinerary

I don't know how much traveling you have done previously, but I feel like your schedule is a bit packed/pre-planned. Personally, I like to be able to relax and see what happens a little more.

Other thoughts:
- More time in Rome.
- 1 night in Venice is plenty.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:43 PM

Hmmm... you're definitely right about the packed/pre-planned bit. This is one reason why I chose not to do a standard tour, and it looks like I'm just creating my own standard tour, which isn't really what I had in mind.

I am sure that while I list a ton of stuff on the list, we'll be adjusting to how we feel while we're out there.

And, to answer your question, I haven't really travelled all that much. Once to Europe and a couple times to Asia, and other than that it's been standard U.S. travel + some Mexico.

If a night in Venice is plenty... what do you think of Verona in place of the 2nd Venice night? Or, do you have some other city in mind? Or, I suppose you implied that another day in Rome might suit us well.

-RMJ
Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 PM

This is really weird. We just booked our tickets, for the same timeframe, flying into Rome, and flying out of Milan, and your route is very similar to what we're tentatively planning (we want to hit Cinque Terre somewhere toward the end).

So, looking forward to seeing other people's thoughts!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:01 PM

- More nights in Florence
- I am not sure Sienna is worth a night stay
- Naples is a dive
- More nights in Florence, especially if you are with your wife/gf.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:59 PM

verona is NOT a must see. there's like, an old amphitheater there, and the romeo and juliet balcony thingy.. that's all really.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 PM

sigh, i love florence.. also i would recommend substituting one of the siena nights for another florence. rent scooters and drive around!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 AM

My Venice trip report:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5378672

Cliff notes: Venice is awesome. Absolutely must see the Friar's Church. Definitely consider staying and eating on the island of Lido instead of Venezia (Venice) proper, or at the very least, try and get off the beaten path to eat. The island of Burano is pretty cool, esp. if you're w/ a gf/wife.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
verona is NOT a must see. there's like, an old amphitheater there, and the romeo and juliet balcony thingy.. that's all really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to disagree with you here, Daryn. Verona is one of my favourite cities in Italy. Perfect size for exploring the old city by foot. Wander around off the beaten track away from tourists and find little shops and bars. I make it a point to miss Juilets balcony when I take friends around the city. None of my guests have ever been disappointed with Verona.

OP, September/October is a great time to come over so you miss the tourist crush.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the comments so far... quick question that's probably dumb.

If I show up in a city with not too much luggage... what do I do with that stuff in the morning if I have not yet been able to check-in to a hotel? Can you have the hotel that you are eventually going to check into hold it for you until check-in time?

-RMJ