Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Help me adjust from online ssnl to live play

Recently, I started playing 2/5 games in NYC. I have been playing ssnl for about one year, and have averaged 6-7ptbb/100 at 100 nl for the last 3 or 4 months. I am interested in playing primarily live, because I think the game is potentially easier and more profitable. I was wondering if anyone with experience adjusting from ssnl to live games can help me. Play is completely different, with average pfrs being in the 7-8bb range, and more huge multiway pots. Stacks are often in the 400bb+ range. Any pieces of general advice, discussion of more subtle differences, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Help me adjust from online ssnl to live play

people will not play well
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Yeah I noticed that one kind of quickly. The biggest adjustment I think is preflop play, and I was wondering most about that. Online I never open limp, 3bet semi light at times, etc. Which of these things should I change for live play? Does 3 betting late position preflop raisers light have any place in a live setting where most people are only concerned with whether they have a pair or not? Are you willing to open limp suited connectors/pairs preflop or do you still perfer open raising?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 PM

3-betting light is fine if you have position and they are opening light. Its all the same variables as online, but you must adjust their values. With deep (300bb+) stacks there is really no need to ever open limp. Just raise pairs, AK, and some other speculative hands from up front, and obv a lot more hands from late position. Also call a bit more in position with deep stacks for the obv reasons.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM

How about early when stacks are still in the 100bb range? Would you advocate open limping hands that play well in multiway pots if the table is loose passive? Do you "punish" limpers as much as online? Online if I see 2 people limp to me I will raise with most playable hands in position, but that seems to be a bad strategy live.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM

just think. that alone will enable you to be ahead of 90% of live players.