Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Omaha 8/ob really interesting hand

Ok this is a really interesting hand I think. So im in the BB with

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Sweet hand right?. This is online at absolute poker 2-4 table. The game is playing pretty tight so I figure ive got the aces and most everyone will fold. So the button calls the sb completes and I... raise? My justification was that having 3 aces it seemed very unlikely that a button limper had A2 and more likely had an inferior low draw to my A3 and I did have a pair of aces which could win the high much better heads up if the sb drops out.

But they both call and the dlop is a nice

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks I bet, button and SB call.

Is that bet good? I think so.

Turn card is the nice

6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB Checks, I bet, Button Raises, SB Reraises, I fold, Button calls

So I think I played this hand correctly preflop and I like my flop and turn bet and the turn fold. Any comments about how I could play it better?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Omaha 8/ob really interesting hand

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet hand right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Just making sure you know you can't use all of those aces at the same time?

[ QUOTE ]
The game is playing pretty tight so I figure ive got the aces and most everyone will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a good way to think. Most players at the 2/4 level will happily play crap like 4567 or J725.

I like the flop bet as a continuation bet, but when they don't go away you have to reevaluate the situation.

On the turn I'd simply check and then probably fold. The pot is quite small, and you're most likely drawing at half of it, at best.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM

AAA3 is pure junk. You're hoping for the low, and it's not even for the nuts. Your only hope for high is for your 2 aces to hold up (and one pair in this game means nothing, especially against 2+ players) or a long shot straight. You're in the big blind with an absolutely hideous hand. Check preflop and don't hope for much.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet hand right?

[/ QUOTE ]

odomination - Wrong. But I think it's sometimes playable.

[ QUOTE ]
and I... raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pre-flop raise with this hand is fine in a tight game where by raising you might steal the blinds or get one-on-one with a blind. However, in a loose game it's not likely to accomplish that goal. In this case it didn't work.

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks I bet, button and SB call.
Is that bet good?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fine. Not really the flop you wanted, but you do have a pair of aces and the 2nd nut low draw. But then you get two callers - ugh.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn card is the nice 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB Checks, I bet, Button Raises, SB Reraises, I fold

[/ QUOTE ]

What's nice about the six of clubs on the turn? (I don't think it's really a card you wanted, but it very well might be a card an opponent wanted). I don't like your opening bet (too aggressive), but I do like your fold to the check-reraise by SB.

Somehow you got out-played here.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 12-28-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AAA3 is pure junk. You're hoping for the low, and it's not even for the nuts. Your only hope for high is for your 2 aces to hold up (and one pair in this game means nothing, especially against 2+ players) or a long shot straight. You're in the big blind with an absolutely hideous hand. Check preflop and don't hope for much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm not sure it's that bad. I don't have a lot of O8 experience but I had read trips are always junk. However I checked it out and I have it producing an EV of 1.4 against 2 other random hands, no folds.

Obviously, you aren't playing 2 random hands - though button limping and SB completeing don't show great strength either and I guess having the 3 of the aces is good. I'm not sure I'd raise with it pre-flop, but it's closer than I thought. I'd certainly play it out of the button if nobody else limped, maybe I'd even raise. Before looking at this I'd have mucked it without thinking.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM

To everyone who said it wasnt really a nice hand i agree. i was joking. Haha, get it. But I still think that it was something worth playing heads up against the button if I could force the SB out. I generally liked the 6 on the turn to be honest. If someone doesnt have one now my AA will probably hold up for the high and I think ive got the low draw.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 PM

preflop raise is absolutely fine for equity, but it's not usually a good idea. in a passive/short situation youll get action from worse low draws, often bare, pretty often, and its easier to exploit this from the BB in a small pot where you can pick your spots. nobody is folding to a preflop raise, but they may form an unhelpful image of your hand - i.e. to narrow your range from 'random hand' to 'big hand'.

easy flop bet, pretty meh turn bet. you arent folding a better hand ever, decent draws that call that flop are unlikely to fold now, and high hands are going to get active, especially with the low/redraw chances.

a turn bet has to be for value now, which only happens in spots where SB's 3-bet is 100% legit and you can easily fold. against better players you really have to check, unless you're willing to bet/cap in a spot like this, which probably sucks at micro-limits. either way, not so interesting...check/call is your solid line, only bet if you know what youre doing in this particular game.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Are you for real. I dont assume that AAA3 is a raisable hand in first position (or even very playable) but when it folds to the button who limps and the sb completes I've gotta assume that my A3 low (with only one A left in the deck) is good. Given the situation I think that I have to be agressive with this hand, not just give it up because "you have trips, trips blow"
Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 PM

AAA3 suited is total trash, ESPECIALLY after it's folded to the button. The extra 6% chance of flopping a set makes AA39 greatly superior to AAA3. And of course, don't forget that your opponents are MUCH MORE LIKELY to have A2 when you're holding AAA3. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 PM

IMO,this is a hand where you need to have a good handle on how often particular cards are held by opponents,I am not adept at calculating this,personally.(Buzz,if you also think this is a good hand for this type of mathmatical application,I would appreciate your help,as always.)

Preflop:It is true that against only 2 opponents,a button limper & a sb limper,there is probably a good chance that your A3 is the best low draw since the AAA somewhat diminishes the chance of another player having an A2.(?)
On the high side,AA probably has a mediocre chance of winning 3 handed.I would not raise pre-flop in this position since the raise is not likely to narrow the field.

Flop:This flop is not great but not too bad either,imo.I think that it's likely you have the best low draw(?).AA has some chance of winning high in this 3 way pot since (1)the flop s rainbow,&(2)the cards that would fill a straight or make trips/2 pr.are the middle cards that are often thrown away.I would bet it,too.

Turn:If nobody has a 6,this is a good turn card.I don't have a reasonably good estimate of how often one of them will have a 6.(?)If I knew the probability was low,I would bet.Otherwise,I would check & call.If it came back with a bet & a raise to me,I would fold.

Summary:I don't think that you played it badly,maybe just a little too optimistically.