Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Poker brings out the ugly side in people right?

I think there was a thread here on p5 like poker's dark side but i forgot if it was related. Anyways i played online poker for 2 years already and i found out one thing. Poker does really bring out the ugly side in everyone. For instance, when i used to play poker i didn't really know how to play. So when i play and i lost, i wasn't really bothered. But now i see threads here on p5 about a guy yelling at a guy for calling 1/3 of his stack in an sng on the bubble with J2s with him cursing and all that. I don't know about you people but i hate seeing people do type that stuff. When i started to get a little serious about poker, i sometimes type those comments as well because I get mad.

Then i realize that playing poker does bring out the side in you that you don't show normally. For instance, normally i don't get mad at a lot of stuff but when i start taking bad beats, the bad side of me comes out and i know a lot of people have the same problem. But when i just play poker for fun like say the atmosphere of a home game, i don't really care if i win or lose because it's for fun. I incorporate that when i play online now because i just don't want to take it too seriously. I found out that if you take things too seriously, you take the bad beats seriously as well. When i play a friendly game, its all about a good time and again i don't care if i win or lose.

So does anyone agree with the statement that it brings out that poker brings out the ugly side in some people? It seems to me the only people I like to play poker against are laid back people because they are all about a good time and so am I. I know their not going to be long term winners but at least they don't get mad at curse like the online players do who gets mad a suckout in a 27dollar sng and starts typing bad stuff at people.

It's like I don't even like playing these serious players in poker anymore because all they think about is winning which is not bad but they take it so personal when they lose that i feel like they are terrible people in real life who plays poker on day on their computer and have a very limiited social life.

I play lower limits 50NL full ring and i hear a lot of cursing stuff going on. Even in the 11 dollar sngs people start typing die die etc to other players. And other players in the table just go lol, go away which does make me mad a bit because the losing player is probably real furious right now and who knows what he will do next at home i mean.

Of course I am pretty sure this is a young player who has no job and trying to make some money online in poker because they don't want to find a job. They probably have 200 dollars or so and havve a bad run of sngs and go broke and start getting mad.

Does anyone agree with some of my points here?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Poker brings out the ugly side in people right?

I'm a perfect example of this unfortunately.

Poker is a sick game. If I could travel back to the past, I would have never started playing. I've seen the worst of me and it's not just at the tables anymore, but carries into my family and social life. I'm becoming more anti-social as the days go by (not that I was a social butterfly to begin with.) It's getting pretty bad and I know the cause of the problem, but can't fix it because I'm addicted to this wretched game. Damn it all to hell really. I used to be a go-happy type of guy, but poker has completely flipped that part of me upside down.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:19 PM

I think what so say is true to an extent, but you will probably see this in most competitive sports. Having years of sunday league football behind me, I think sport as a whole bring out the aggression in us men. The annoymous nature of playing online allows people to be as rude as they like, but I dont think it is any worse than other games. Have a look at a lot of chat rooms out there, some of the stuff is horrible. I think its more a case of people acting like fools online, than poker itself.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 PM

I think if you're getting genuinely angry (especially at others) over a game then you probably have a lot of growing up to do. Gain some dignity and learn to lose.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:03 PM

hey keke i said i just see this happen too much when i play online. I used to get angry a lot too but then i said its just a game and to stop getting serious. I think a lot of those losers who keep whining are the ones that will never get it b/c they whine over everything. I would HATE to have these players in my home game b/c they only care about winning and not having a "good" time.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a sick game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't, it's just a game. I'm sorry to hear you have compulsive tendencies but if you never found poker you would have found something else to consume your time.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 PM

This is one of the main reasons I had to quit poker. It's more worth it for me to be in situations where I am pleasant around other people rather than consuming my time figuring out ways to destroy them. This has lead me to such things as girlfriends, hobbies, motivation, etc...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Actually, I think that it's simply that losing money brings out the ugly side in people.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Things that bring out your darkside more than poker.

1) Being cut off or having people drive like Donks in Traffic

2) People who talk in the movie theater

3) Rappers (Can't help it they ruin society) Unless they rap about weed only [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

4) Stupid Army Regulations. Too many to list

5) 16 Check out lines at K-Mart and only 1 is open at any given time.

6) Fast food tardos who can't get an order right.'

7) Restraunts who have booths an ethiopian cannot fit into

8) People who cut in line and act like they DON'T KNOW IT.

Getting AA cracked by some schloub is nothing compared to some of the dumb stuff the tards of society are pulling off these days.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:53 PM

I'm very interested in hearing about these things, tell me more.

[ QUOTE ]
This has lead me to such things as girlfriends, hobbies, motivation, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]