Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM

Default The Theory of Poker Study Group

Several people have shown interest in a study group about Sklansky's The Theory of Poker. There seems to be a tentative consensus that although TOP is about Poker in general and not specifically about No-Limit Hold'em, this forum would be a good place for this group. Now that the NLTHP study group has entered some sort of concept-of-the-day phase, i think a TOP study group would be feasible. I'd volunteer to do the summaries, unless someone else wants to.

So, please consider this post as an invitation. How many of you would be interested, and when should we start? First week of April would leave those who don't already have the book only a week to get it, wouldn't that be too soon?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: The Theory of Poker Study Group

im in, whenever you want to start is cool
Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 AM

bump.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 AM

I'd read that thread and participate in the discussion. I cannot promise I'll read the book much.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 AM

I'm in. But if you start on first week of April. I probably still waiting for the book, depends on how fast Amazon delivers.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 AM

Wallenborn,

Thanks for offering to do it. You can count me in whenever.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:07 AM

I'd be very interested in taking part in this. I have the book and have just started reading it for the second time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Several people have shown interest in a study group about Sklansky's The Theory of Poker. There seems to be a tentative consensus that although TOP is about Poker in general and not specifically about No-Limit Hold'em, this forum would be a good place for this group. Now that the NLTHP study group has entered some sort of concept-of-the-day phase, i think a TOP study group would be feasible. I'd volunteer to do the summaries, unless someone else wants to.

So, please consider this post as an invitation. How many of you would be interested, and when should we start? First week of April would leave those who don't already have the book only a week to get it, wouldn't that be too soon?

[/ QUOTE ]
What??? There are people here who don't have this book???

Seriously though, some of the concepts in the book are more easily applicable to other forms of poker (some of the sections on bluffing on the river come to mind). The study group will have to be careful of this and since alot of the examples in the book are from 7CS come up with our own examples.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very interested in taking part in this. I have the book and have just started reading it for the second time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get anything out of the book until you have played for at least a year and read it for the 2nd time. It's quite complex and most of the stuff is over newbies heads.
I'm in the process of rereading it and am noticing stuff that I just sped over the first time. I think it's a very solid book and is required reading.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in. But if you start on first week of April. I probably still waiting for the book, depends on how fast Amazon delivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, i'd hate to leave someone behind, and postponing it a week or so is certainly possible.

Could you notify me when it has arrived?