Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Typical staking arrangements for cash games

I posted a version of this in the MSNL, but got no real responses, so thought I would try this forum in case it's more appropriate.

Can anyone explain how typical staking arrangements work for cash games (specifically NLHE)?

What are the parameters of such a deal, what are standard percentages, etc.? Is it a simple matter of selling someone a piece of my action at some price? If so, what are typical/reasonable amounts?

Also, are there any provisions in place for the arrangement to last for specific periods of time? If this info appears in a thread somewhere, a pointer would be great.

Mods - I didn't know if this is the appropriate forum, but I didn't know the alternative, so please move if appropriate.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Typical staking arrangements for cash games

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain how typical staking arrangements work for cash games (specifically NLHE)?

[/ QUOTE ] Nothing is 'typical', it will be whatever fits the circumstances.
[ QUOTE ]

What are the parameters of such a deal, what are standard percentages, etc.? Is it a simple matter of selling someone a piece of my action at some price? If so, what are typical/reasonable amounts?

[/ QUOTE ] It will have to be something where both participants feel they win. Hopefully, both DO win, but the right staking deal will give both participants equal EV on the deal. It assumes you are a profitable investment, and would range from 1% to 99% of your profit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggling [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Also, are there any provisions in place for the arrangement to last for specific periods of time? If this info appears in a thread somewhere, a pointer would be great.

[/ QUOTE ] There should be a way for both of you to get out 'honorably'; to call it quits for minimal loss. If the guy being staked is earning a profit besides what he owes the staker, and he builds up a reasonable bankroll to play "on his own", then he should be free to thank the staker for his confidence, shake his hand, and go his own way. Likewise, the guy providing the $$$ has to be able to kill the deal whenever he feels he's backed a losing horse. The deal has to end when ONE of you wants out, full stop.