Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Should I get an MBA? ..and other job advice

Hi all,

I'm pretty fed up with my current job, but am having a tough time deciding which path to go to pick a job I like / make decent money.

I have an electrical engineering degree, but don't really want to do engineering. I've been mostly involved in internet-marketing / business type jobs in the last few years. Typical stuff like business development/sales/paid advertising/search engine optimization/etc. I'm a big quant guy and love working with numbers, so I tend to do a lot of SQL reporting/excel/etc.

I like the online industry, but there's really no clear career path. My current company is small, and salary is modest with nowhere to move up.

I'm studying up for the GMAT in an attempt to get into some top schools. The question burning in the back of my brain is - what the hell am I going to do with my MBA?

Any suggestions for interesting MBA type jobs, internet/online/marketing related, or quant related in general would be good.

If it helps any I'm located in DC, but am open to other cities to live in (particularly chicago).

The main things I'd want to find in a job would be:
- good salary
- easy to move up / get promoted
- no insane work hours (up to maybe 50-60/week max)

Just feeling kind of lost, and would appreciate any input.