Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Maestros in Newport Beach - Trip Report

Maestros in Newport Beach is supposed to be some fancy-pantsy place on the PCH.

My mother, step-dad, step-brother, and myself cruised down from Irvine at about 6ish for my mothers b-day celebration. I was told that this place is a bit more formal and that a shirt and pants would be more appropriate as my mom + step dad didn’t get in once as they were not dressed appropriately.

Right as we are walking in we see some kid in his early 20’s walking out in shorts and a t-shirt. I LOLed.

We were early so our table wasn’t ready yet. We walked down to the bar for a bit. It was comical to see groups of middle aged women obviously looking for money. You could tell their biological clock was ticking and they were about to jump on any guy who seemed to have money. The chairs at the bar are retarded. They are arranged so they are too wide (or the bar is too cramped) so you have to completely pull the chair out from the bar, sit down, and then have someone push you up to the bar.

We got seated. The hostesses there we not anything special…I was expecting hotness. I was disappointed. More drinks, blah blah blah. I had calamari as an appetizer. It was good. Dinner however was not so impressive. I ordered a Lobster tail. They grilled it and served it in flaming hot oil. Yuck. My step-dad got the same thing but he didn’t spend a couple summers in Cape Cod so he doesn’t know what real lobster tastes like. My mom didn’t really like her swordfish. My step brother got a good steak though.

Their side-dish system there is retarded IMO. Your entrée does not come with any side dishes, the table orders them together and then you are served each side-dish on your giant white plate that your entrée came on. Stoopid. We had mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese, and something else. It was a waste because they give you a bucket full of each.

My step-brother then wanted to take some stuff back to his place because there was like 5 pounds of left overs. My mom asks to for the bus-boy to bring a box to put the stuff in. He is Mexican, he no understand englishy and thinks he should bring the food to the back, put it in a box, and bring it back. I let my mom ask the guy for a box 18 times before I told the guy in spanish to leave the food here and bring some boxes over. I was LOLing. My mom got a cake or something, I didn’t try it. They didnt sing Happy Birthday for her. What a rip off.

We drove home, I went out later a got a grilled stuffed burrito from Taco Bell. The End

Service: Excellent
Food: Poor-ish
Should I go there? Not worth it...
Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Maestros in Newport Beach - Trip Report

Give it another try.

A la carte is the norm a a lot of higher end restuarants.

It's also pretty standard for the waitstaff to take your leftovers to the kitchen so they can be put in to-go containers instead of shoveling mashed potatoes from your plate into some styrofoam box.

FWIW, it sounds like the bar might be MILF heaven.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:14 PM

Im having a really hard time picturing a high end restaurant serving family style mac-n-cheese.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:20 PM

Raul,

I think you're thinking of Mastros, not Maestros.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:23 PM

Raul,

Also, I just read the rest of your trip report and it sucked. Most decent dining places will box your food for you rather than just bringing the boxes to you. It's real standard. And you're complaining about not having the waitstaff sing happy birthday? What the [censored]? It's not TGIFridays, dude.