Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Where to go from here.....life advice

So right now, i am a 20 year old college flunk out. I have spent the good part of this last year grinding poker tournaments. I have done moderately well, and would estimate that between all the sites, and cash i am up over 50k+ this year (devinr12 on stars). But thats where part of the problem comes in. I didnt really have money growing up, and until i found poker, had a negative net worth minus a little bit of money my parents put in the stock market for me. The problem comes when i started spending ungodly amounts of money on stuff that I really have no need for. I would estimate that despite living in an apartment that only costs 225 a month on rent, i have spent over 30k this year, without having car payments, or spending any more then 2k on school total. But with poker, i am still scraping by.

But with that said, I dont really feel like playing poker anymore. I still think i might try to win the yearly tlb on stars, just because i have a sidebet on doing it, and its something I set my mind out to do. Im leaving Friday to spend about 50 days backpacking Europe, but my question for you guys is what I should do when I return. I needed to get a 1.7 this semester to remain academically eligible at my college, and I dont believe I did that seeing as I skipped 2 of my finals. I dont really have much of an interest in re-enrolling in school, and not too interested in working for someone else. I cant see myself spending 10 hours a day playing poker anymore either. My rent is up on my apartment, so after I get back from Europe I have to find a new place to stay. Considering making the move to Vegas since I will be turning 21 shortly, but i am not sure if thats what I want from life.

Skills wise, I am relatively smart, but years of heavy drinking and other downfalls of existence has somewhat limited my mental capacity. I dont really have much of a work ethic, unless its something that I am 100 pct in control of, and no "higher-up" will directly benefit off my labor. Im athletic, and am still good enough to play college baseball at any 1AA or less school, but I dont think many schools would take me due to my academic track record. Im interested in coaching, and financially I could make due returning to poker if needed, but thats not something I really want to do. I am also interested in the stock market, and real estate investing, amongst other things.

To summarize, I am a 20 year old college dropout who makes decent money at poker, but cant see himself spending his life doing that. What on earth should I do?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Where to go from here.....life advice

stop spending your money on stupid stuff, to start with.
if you're unsure about your future career/path/etc then having 10 or 20k in the bank will make it a lot easier to get through the down stretches.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

You're gonna need to fix this
[ QUOTE ]
I dont really have much of a work ethic

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to be successful in this
[ QUOTE ]
I am also interested in the stock market, and real estate investing, amongst other things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

I'm a 24 year old college drop out with no moniez and bad at poker, so... the glass is half full, or something.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Welfare FTW.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 PM

it saddens me to see people 1/5 of a century old in these situations.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop spending your money on stupid stuff, to start with.
if you're unsure about your future career/path/etc then having 10 or 20k in the bank will make it a lot easier to get through the down stretches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to stop wasting money. Hell i have an Armani suit. Why does someone have an armani suit with no job. Also i have a little more then 20k in the bank I think.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM

so wait, you have no really marketable skills, no work ethic, and you are tired of doing the one thing that allows you to live comfortably.

"I needed to get a 1.7 this semester to remain academically eligible at my college, and I dont believe I did that seeing as I skipped 2 of my finals."

"Skills wise, I am relatively smart"

"and financially I could make due returning to poker if needed"

LOL

if you are interested in something you'll have to work at it, since you don't know anybody that will just give you a job. tough luck, life's a bitch.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 PM

If your name was Anacardo you'd have 600 responses by now. As it is, stop being lazy and make something of yourself. Start by not skipping finals.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your name was Anacardo you'd have 600 responses by now. As it is, stop being lazy and make something of yourself. Start by not skipping finals.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaaaaand that about wraps it up, gg thread
Closed Thread