Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Coming back from a break / Recovering from burn out...

I've been on about a month long break (poker just got extremely boring for me), and right when i stopped playing i put all of my winnings into a mutual fund, leaving me very shortly rolled. My judgement is off when i play it seems, and i think i am not playing like a winning player any more. Has anyone else experienced this? and If so, what is the best way to get back into top form?

I used to 8 table 10-20 and 5-10 games on multiple sites. I was thinking of stepping down to 4 tables at maybe as low as 2/4 until i can really get back into the game. Others with any experience? Also, maybe controlling the amount of poker i play one day and keeping it no more than 4-5 hours a day.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Coming back from a break / Recovering from burn out...

I would take some money out of the fund or move down.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:28 PM

3-4 table 400 for a while.
No point in wasting money at high stakes while you get back into your groove
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM

4-5 hours is a ton if you are 8 tabling. Id definitely not play more than that. Keep it to under 3k hands a day.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM

I'm from another forum, but why should you keep the number of hands minimized to 3k? To stop burnout?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been on about a month long break (poker just got extremely boring for me), and right when i stopped playing i put all of my winnings into a mutual fund, leaving me very shortly rolled. My judgement is off when i play it seems, and i think i am not playing like a winning player any more. Has anyone else experienced this? and If so, what is the best way to get back into top form?

I used to 8 table 10-20 and 5-10 games on multiple sites. I was thinking of stepping down to 4 tables at maybe as low as 2/4 until i can really get back into the game. Others with any experience? Also, maybe controlling the amount of poker i play one day and keeping it no more than 4-5 hours a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were rolled for 10/20 how much did you put into mutual funds that has you now shortrolled. Maybe just drop down.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm from another forum, but why should you keep the number of hands minimized to 3k? To stop burnout?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, playing that much every day is too much for me. Maybe you guys are different but I cant play my A game after that many hands and I have more fun going out than sitting home playing cards all day.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:24 PM

i put 125k in various funds, left myself 20k, which i played down to 15k in a few hours....

i think i will take the advice of under 3k hands per day, that will be key to playing well and not taking months off.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Ender, you and I have played together a decent amount (I_Am_Macbeth) and i know you are at pretty solid player if you are playing well. I think actual figures qould help the advice, but generally, i would advise you to drop down to where you have 30+ buyins and get back into your rythm. I have played up to 12 tables, and i currently find i am enjoying playing 6-7. Going to 4 might cost you too much in EV but taking out 2 might be the perfect medium.

In the future, remember that poker is your main income source is there really isn't a situation that exists where you should cash out enough of your roll to so that it will endanger it. In the meaintime, play some 2-4 or 3-6 NL and grind your roll back up. For what it's worth, at the beggining of the summer, i cashed out some money from my bankroll and dropped down to 20-40 and 30-60 limit and 5-10 NL exclusivley to get myself back in the poker groove or whatever, it made me focus on my game and helped rebuild my confidence. I am sure you can do a similar thing here. Best of luck to you...

Gabe

Haha obviously i made post on an account other than my own, oops.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i put 125k in various funds, left myself 20k, which i played down to 15k in a few hours....

i think i will take the advice of under 3k hands per day, that will be key to playing well and not taking months off.

[/ QUOTE ]you were probably playing way out of your "effective" roll if you dropped 25% of your roll in a few hours.