Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Troll or Retard?
Troll 5 26.32%
Retard 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 05:25 AM

Default PLO PS 0.02/0.05 - Bad beat or bad play?

Hello folks,

I am hobby poker player, mainly playing NHLE with constant small winnings as long as my bankroll isn't too big as I tend to play to loose then.

Anyway, I got into PLO just a few days ago and like the game actually even more then NHLE because it's just more fun to play. Yesterday, I played only a few hands when the following situation occurred.

Since I am rather new to PLO so I guess this was a rather questionable call from my side preflop and after the flop reraise of my oppt.

Preflop: lod-aut is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Nobody raised pre-flop so I just limped in, since I had similar hands before which would have been the winning hands on this table. After looking at my cards I figured that if the flop comes low I have a chance for a str8, even possibly flopping the set.

Betting on the table:
UTG calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, lod-aut calls $0.02, SB completes, BB checks.

Here is the whole hand then - so here is my question? Bad beat or bad play (typical Omaha beginners fault)? Any comments are welcome:

Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

lod-aut ($2.60)
SB ($5.96)
BB ($16.08)
UTG ($6.91)
MP ($3.12)

Preflop: lod-aut is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, lod-aut calls $0.02, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.04</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">lod-aut raises to $0.16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.56</font>, lod-aut calls $0.40.

Comment: as what I had seen before from my oppt I set him at 35% two pairs, 30% oe str8 draw, 25% higher set, 10% bluff
The call after his raise, I guess was really questionable, but I had a really good fealing with the hand, that I can improve on turn - well, I did, but....

Turn: ($1.20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">lod-aut raises to $2.02</font>, SB calls $0.87.

River: ($5.24) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $5.24

Results below:
SB has Th Ts Qh 8d (four of a kind, tens).

Outcome: SB wins $5.24.

Comment: Mods, if I violated any rule (though I have read them), sorry.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: PLO PS 0.02/0.05 - Bad beat or bad play?

You can't make any nut hands with this, so fold pre-flop - it's junk. You've shown why small pairs are a liability rather than an asset...

It's bad play because you should fold to the 3-bet on the flop. Hard to tell what people will do at this level, but people won't generally play top two pair this strong (there's nothing you call with that they beat). Versus a 17-outer straight draw (256x) you're not much of a favourite and you're in deep trouble versus a higher set.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:48 AM

This is auto-fold preflop. It may be usable in PLO8 but in PLO you need to fold this hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 AM

look,
there would be bad beat when, say
u have quads to the riverm which gained him 1outer straight-flush
otherwise its just a ..m.m... lose

at these levels (5-10PL) you neednt even think about opponents hand. villians just braindead here and you cant predict what did he have. just look at yours cards and play. as said, fold preflop that.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the comments - well in general I think that i was a typical beginner's fault preflop and after his raise.

Still if you hit 4 of a kind and your oppt hits a 1-outer it is a bad beat.... at leat least in some way.

I should have been in the pot, got lucky on turn and unlucky on the river...

I consider it a lesson learned and fortunately I did not loose that much on this low level [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: PLO PS 0.02/0.05 - Bad beat or bad play? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky