Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Poker for non-profit organization

Recently ive been looking into if it would be legal to have some type of poker room in new jersey if the profit would go to a non-profit organization. From my understanding and brief overview poker does not fall into one of the gambling "activities" a non profit org can host.I think it would be a great idea and could be extremly beneficial to all. NEw jersey would prob be the hardest state to do this is, but is it even possible?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Poker for non-profit organization

Ask a lawyer in New Jersey, not a bunch of blowhards on the Internet (myself included.)
Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 PM

This is done in chicago. I assume it can be done in your state, but you'd better check. In chicago, they travel from location to location, instead of having a standalone poker room. I question the security of this.

chicagolivepoker.com
rockfordcharitablegames.com
Old 08-22-2007, 02:12 AM

I am sure if i decided to g ahead with this, there would be a HUDGE backlash from AC loddyists and people with financial intrests in AC. Thanx for ur help, and if there are ne people from NJ who can help, please IM me
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Yes it's possible. Delaware changed this a year or so ago. It had to go through all of the legislative channels after the intitial games were shut down.

IMO, the games suck due to the % of $ going to the charity and the structures of the games.

This place www.depokerroom.com actually holds games for the charities as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM

PA has some of this going on as well. Ask a Jersey lawyer as Jersey laws will be what you have to follow.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently ive been looking into if it would be legal to have some type of poker room in new jersey if the profit would go to a non-profit organization. From my understanding and brief overview poker does not fall into one of the gambling "activities" a non profit org can host.I think it would be a great idea and could be extremly beneficial to all. NEw jersey would prob be the hardest state to do this is, but is it even possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played in two local $50 charity tournaments, licensed by the state of Michigan. Sites can also get a special one-day liquor license as well.

Sites I know of that have had this kind of tournament include: Elks Club, Masonic Temple, Catholic Church, school, horse racing track.

http://www.michigan.gov/cg/0,1607,7-111-35016---,00.html